MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... I've been getting mixed opinions on this one.

I removed my motor by pulling it out the top (PITA) and to get the brakes out of the way to remove the axels I just took the brake assembly off of the struts.

Putting the motor back I'm doing it the traditional way, and just removed the xmember this evening.

Once everything is back together, will I need realignment?

Realistically how far off will things be? I'm rather stretched for cash at the moment, but I did just buy new tires and don't want them to be eaten instantly.

Looking at the geometry of the situation I'm just not sure the rear suspension would be thrown off all that far. Opinions?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
check the BGB for how to align camber..

you loosen the strut to hub bolts, and push or pull the hub.. this brings the camber angle in or out.. since you removed your hubs, its impossible for it to be reinstalled at exactly the same angle. what you essentially did was a camber adjustment.

with the car in the air, lightly snug the lower bolt on the hub.. then push and pull the hub to get a feel of how far in and out it goes.. then push the hub all the way forward (ie: max camber) and pull it out to what feels like a little less than half way. do this to both sides and you'll be close enough to get by for quite a long time.

camber and toe is related, and a change in camber will marginally change toe.. but its not like you'll be throwing toe out any irrational amount.

obviously its not ideal.. but its not like you're gonna be running the scca pro tour final round tomorrow or something.. so you'll do fine. ive done the little-less-than-half pull thing more than a few times to get by until i have time to have it aligned. it wont be x-amount off, you'll just have no set camber at all, and you'll have to put it somewhere!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts