MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, quit laughing for just a second and take a looka 'dis.

It lacks a Toyota badge, but it's got the rest: mid-engine, RWD, 2 seats, 2,200 pounds...and 250hp. Of course, it's also $80k (what's that, 2 Elise's?)and as I recall Alfa is sort of the "Jaguar" of Italian cars with regard to reliability.

But it sure is pretty. And it's coming to America.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'll take mine with V6 power and redo the wiring myself. Might be my next street two. (Gotta leave room for a track toy. :thumbup)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I put my name on the waiting list when it was $54k. I am not sure at $80k that it is a good value. I bought a supercharged Lotus Elise instead.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
"the only transmission option is the six-speed dual-clutch automatic from the Giulietta. "

NOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
400 Posts
(continued from above) OOOOooooooooooo.... Okay V6 and manual 6-speed.
Except that it's not a V6. And besides the motor potential, it shouldn't be that bad of a car. A 1.8L turbo will be fun, and later on down the road you can put a 2GR in it as the chassis is based on the Evora.

-Josh

·
Registered
421 Posts
Romeo 4C

Was impressed with the 1800 pound weight. Then it ballooned up to 2100 pounds. Rumor control has it the USA version will be at least 100 pounds heavier.

Got a feeling a MR2 Spyder with an aftermarket turbo will be just as good.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Except that it's not a V6. And besides the motor potential, it shouldn't be that bad of a car. A 1.8L turbo will be fun, and later on down the road you can put a 2GR in it as the chassis is based on the Evora.

-Josh
Where did you get that the 4c has an Evora chassis? The 4c is a CF tub that was designed for the 4c by Dallara Automobili. Evora uses an Aluminum chassis. The dimensions are also radically different. I don't think that they have anything in common, other than that they are both in cool midengined cars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If we can put a V8 in a mk II, someone will find a way to stick a V6 in a 4C. That, and replacing the flappy paddle gearbox with a proper stick would make me very happy.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
No complaints about motor or trans, but price versus performance at $86k failed. At $54k it seemed cool, sorry it failed to make it there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The cost of production of the carbon chassis is high. It's a huge chunk of the cost I'm sure.
At 86k I can't see too many people tearing them apart for engine swaps. Also I recall hearing a number like 500 for North America for the first batch.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I am dying to see and drive one of these. I think in a couple years I will replace the MR2 and BRZ with either a 4C or an Evora. We'll see!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Where did you get that the 4c has an Evora chassis? The 4c is a CF tub that was designed for the 4c by Dallara Automobili. Evora uses an Aluminum chassis. The dimensions are also radically different. I don't think that they have anything in common, other than that they are both in cool midengined cars.
I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere that they were based on the same chassis, though used different materials for the actual chassis composition.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Saw this up close and personal at the Ft Lauderdale Auto Show last Sunday.

Doesn't look nearly as impressive in person.

And for nearly $90,000.00 I've seen lots better interiors.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Modified Elise will outrun modified viper on many tracks. The fact that the viper weighs as much as 1500lbs more than the Elise gives the Elise a HUGE advantage from a physics standpoint. While the viper may compensate by having twice the hp to move twice the weight, it then becomes an issue of brakes, tires and suspension. If there are not a couple of long straights where that Viper can make up ground, it will in fact surprise you. As for the Porsche, most Porsches are driven poorly on the track, especially if they start with a turbo. people who drive on the track start with a track car and try to add to it, not with a GT car.
I just sold my supercharged Elise and it has changed my frame of reference for street car performance. 0-60 in under 4 seconds and the most incredible chassis balance I have ever driven. It handles like a formula car but with a body.

Back to the topic of the 4c, it sounds like pricing is coming back down. They are talking about mid $50k range for the regular production model.
Maybe I can get one after all...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts