MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm about to start installing my alarm and I'm not completely sure where to mount everything.... I was thinking behind the radio, but ther are already so many wires back there it would be a major PITA to do anything there..... Where else? I'd prefer not to be running a ton of wires through the firewall because that doesn't look like much fun either.

I already decided on putting the siren in the frunk, but other than that, the more I can put in the passenger cabin the better.

Ideas? What have you guys done?

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
The siren will be muffled in the frunk.

Shop that installed my alarm put it under the steering wheel in a little ledge under the dash. First time I hit the brakes, HEY! I've got a black box with wires blocking my pedals. :-| Needless to say I found a better location for it and secured it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
if your siren is small enough like mine, i mounted it in frunk area, kinda on top of radiator. it is kind of tight but does fit, my alarm was python 871xp, same as viper.... mounted brain under center console unit like in between carpet and dash

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Yes. Unlike an engine bay there's no way for the sound to get out through the bottom. It'd be just like putting it in the trunk or something.

Besides, you want an alarm to attract as MUCH attention as possible when it goes off, which is why mine nearly made you deaf when it went off and you were right next to the left vent for the engine bay ;)

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also want it to not be easy to find the siren and rip out the wires. I had the siren behind the plastic frunk piece so you would have to remove the tire and strut bar to get to it.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmm.. I wish I could test to see how much quieter it is up front. I think I'm going to stick the brain behind the stereo and just try to seperate the alarm and radio wires as much as possible.

edit: Gico, not a bad idea. I guess I could also stick it inside and just destroy the hearing of anyone trying to steal my car, but the thought of having it in there with me scares me lol

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay I put it in the engine bay for now, just because it was simple and I want to get everything wired up then I can move it a little if I want.

One more question, how do the wires for the power locks usually work? It's kinda a cheap ebay alarm and the manual sucks balls and simply says that they go for the locks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
it should be negative locking system. (memory) that type usually comes on all brands you would just connect one wire to unlock and one to lock. metering wires in car :
rest = 12 volts
lock/unlock = ground
if you connect wires to proper wire in car they will work even if reversed (then switch wires) if you still need help pm me :) good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.