MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I JUST DID IT! My car has had it's air bag sensor on for 3 Years!!! Yes 3 years, and I finally got it to turn off. Someone used the pill box on my car once, but it didn't turn off the airbag light.

I just put a 4 inch wire onto TC, a 4 inch wire onto AB, and attempted to play the drums to E1. On the 3rd try it worked. I didn't even remove the key from the ignition. I just kept trying to "play the drums". Wow, 3 years of that damn air bag light being on, and this is all I had to do!!!

Edit: Actually, I never knew about "playing the drums" until I noticed this thread right now. Also, I checked the airbag code a long time ago, and the code stated there was a connection problem somewhere in my steering wheel. Which I never understood, because I double-checked that the Airbag was plugged in. I just can't believe it was just this.
Bro, I hope you read this question. Can you tell me which port is AB and TC? No one posted a picture one side of the ecu have 9 pins and the other one 6, I think I found on google whitch one is TC (right pin on hte 6 pin side) not sure AB? Any help would be greatly appreciated to reset the airbag light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you'll have to "play the drums" which is nothing more than doing a engine diagnostic code check. you luck out today because I have my 93BGB in front of me.
go into your engine bay and pop the black or greay (forget off the top) plastic tab which says diagnostic on it. this is a 2 person job for the most part

Turn on car to acc or onto on waint 20sec. Next connect a wire that goes from termal Tc to E1. use a wire with a prong on each end to fit into those terminals (male end connectors that have 1 of the 2 tabs cut off works). Make sure not to screw this up. now you'll see the airbag light blink at you. your fist blink is first digit (1 for 1x or 2 for 2x and so on) . after the pause you'll get x or your second digit. so say you get 1 blink a pause then 2 blinks you have a code 12.

You'll need to find out what code you have before you can clear the code. from the looks of it all but code 41 can be removed by dissconnecting the battery with the key in the lock posistion. it should be dissconnected for about 10-20 sec. Now the code I got was a 41 so you do that differentily to clear it.

to clear it you connect a wire to Tc then another wire goes into AB (these are seperate wires not one that goes from one to the other) next you turn the car to the acc or on posistion. start with your Tc wire and tap that to a ground (should have a screw real close by) then go over to your AB wire. This is where you play the drums. you switch from one to the other preaty quickily (tapping those wires onto your ground) it may take a few times if you dont tap them quickily enough...

if all works well you should see the light go away. I forget it it's right away or if it's when you turn the key off then back on. Now I've only done this once but it's really not that hard all in all.
Do you have a picture of what is AB and what is TC I have the 9 and 6 pin connector. I found a picture but not sure whitch is what. Thanks, a pic would be nice. Everyone looks for this post since there is only a couple left on the web.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have a picture of what is AB and what is TC I have the 9 and 6 pin connector. I found a picture but not sure whitch is what. Thanks, a pic would be nice. Everyone looks for this post since there is only a couple left on the web.
Page AB-31 in the 91 repair manual. The repair manuals are available for free from several places. Just search "mr2 bgb" in google. Highly recommend downloading them.

airbag drums.png

21 - 24 of 24 Posts