MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 93na and the only problem i spoted was that the airbag light is on and they tried to turn it off but it's still on does anybody knows what could the problem be and also if i take my car to take the emission test would that gonna be a problem or they just won't look at that?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
In CA, my smog guy said any CEL will fail you. I don't think it's really an airbag failure as much as a sensor problem, but you might want to have a Toyota tech check it out, unless you've got skillz with that kind of thing.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
you'll have to "play the drums" which is nothing more than doing a engine diagnostic code check. you luck out today because I have my 93BGB in front of me.
go into your engine bay and pop the black or greay (forget off the top) plastic tab which says diagnostic on it. this is a 2 person job for the most part

Turn on car to acc or onto on waint 20sec. Next connect a wire that goes from termal Tc to E1. use a wire with a prong on each end to fit into those terminals (male end connectors that have 1 of the 2 tabs cut off works). Make sure not to screw this up. now you'll see the airbag light blink at you. your fist blink is first digit (1 for 1x or 2 for 2x and so on) . after the pause you'll get x or your second digit. so say you get 1 blink a pause then 2 blinks you have a code 12.

You'll need to find out what code you have before you can clear the code. from the looks of it all but code 41 can be removed by dissconnecting the battery with the key in the lock posistion. it should be dissconnected for about 10-20 sec. Now the code I got was a 41 so you do that differentily to clear it.

to clear it you connect a wire to Tc then another wire goes into AB (these are seperate wires not one that goes from one to the other) next you turn the car to the acc or on posistion. start with your Tc wire and tap that to a ground (should have a screw real close by) then go over to your AB wire. This is where you play the drums. you switch from one to the other preaty quickily (tapping those wires onto your ground) it may take a few times if you dont tap them quickily enough...

if all works well you should see the light go away. I forget it it's right away or if it's when you turn the key off then back on. Now I've only done this once but it's really not that hard all in all.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Giving this a bump so I can find it again. I'm going to have to do this, this week. Put a new Alternator on and now my Airbag, Brake and Cruise Control lights are all on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just played the drums. It took 3 or four times, the last time I went John Bonham on the ground and it worked flawlessly. The light went off right away without turning key. I'm grateful for the search feature on this site and the useful info available here. Thanks to Seth W. for providing this post!

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
hopefully it didnt take 4 years to fix I'd just slap some electrical tape over the light or remove it. I surprised I posted something useful or people actually listened to me vs saying the same thing over again but in their own words

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, that happens sometimes. And no, it hasn't been close to four years, the light came on today and I fixed it today. Ive got something else going on you my be able to help with. My check engine light is on and I've done the paper clip diagnostic a few times but get no code. The last time I got sidetracked and accidentally started the engine with the paperclip in the box. Now the light doesn't flash but I can hear the constant clicking indicating no code coming from the box. When the engine light first came on, it would come and go. Now it stays lit constantly. Any thoughts on what to do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seth W said:
you'll have to "play the drums" which is nothing more than doing a engine diagnostic code check. you luck out today because I have my 93BGB in front of me.
go into your engine bay and pop the black or greay (forget off the top) plastic tab which says diagnostic on it. this is a 2 person job for the most part

Turn on car to acc or onto on waint 20sec. Next connect a wire that goes from termal Tc to E1. use a wire with a prong on each end to fit into those terminals (male end connectors that have 1 of the 2 tabs cut off works). Make sure not to screw this up. now you'll see the airbag light blink at you. your fist blink is first digit (1 for 1x or 2 for 2x and so on) . after the pause you'll get x or your second digit. so say you get 1 blink a pause then 2 blinks you have a code 12.

You'll need to find out what code you have before you can clear the code. from the looks of it all but code 41 can be removed by dissconnecting the battery with the key in the lock posistion. it should be dissconnected for about 10-20 sec. Now the code I got was a 41 so you do that differentily to clear it.

to clear it you connect a wire to Tc then another wire goes into AB (these are seperate wires not one that goes from one to the other) next you turn the car to the acc or on posistion. start with your Tc wire and tap that to a ground (should have a screw real close by) then go over to your AB wire. This is where you play the drums. you switch from one to the other preaty quickily (tapping those wires onto your ground) it may take a few times if you dont tap them quickily enough...

if all works well you should see the light go away. I forget it it's right away or if it's when you turn the key off then back on. Now I've only done this once but it's really not that hard all in all.

also found under this thread, with a link to a manual describing this in more detail. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=4012611#post4012611

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
guys I just tried the "drum playing" - just alternating between TC and AB for a long time and this did not work. then I went to BGB and cleared the code on my first try. A very specific sequence is required:

a) turn ignition to ACC
b) wait more than 6 seconds
c) do the following sequence:
[1] Tc to ground for "1 mississi" then let go
[2] AB to ground for "1 mississi" then let go
[3] TC to ground for "1 mississi" then let go
[4] AB to ground for "1 mississi" then let go
[5] TC to ground for several seconds after which the airbag light will start to flash ~8 times per second. after the light is flashing, you can disconnect TC from ground. The air bag light will be off at this point.
d) turn the ignition off. When you turn the ignition key back to ACC the airbag light will come on, but then will go off when you actually go to the ON position.

... the "1 mississi" above is to approximate a time period of 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. and the time between the numbered steps above must be less than 0.2 seconds- which is to say you first lift one wire and immediately put down the next wire. you should not touch both wires to ground at the same time.

The above is a "layman" translation of the timing waveforms at the bottom of page AB-31 in the BGB.

·
2GR-FE FTW
2,945 Posts
velandia said:
guys I just tried the "drum playing" - just alternating between TC and AB for a long time and this did not work. then I went to BGB and cleared the code on my first try. A very specific sequence is required:

a) turn ignition to ACC
[5] TC to ground for several seconds after which the airbag light will start to flash ~8 times per second. after the light is flashing, you can disconnect TC from ground. The air bag light will be off at this point.
d) turn the ignition off. When you turn the ignition key back to ACC the airbag light will come on, but then will go off when you actually go to the ON position.

... the "1 mississi" above is to approximate a time period of 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. and the time between the numbered steps above must be less than 0.2 seconds- which is to say you first lift one wire and immediately put down the next wire. you should not touch both wires to ground at the same time.

The above is a "layman" translation of the timing waveforms at the bottom of page AB-31 in the BGB.
That looks like it should be easier to perform with the extra instructions. Good Job!
Another option which I have seen referenced (for those with too much time on their hands - or who like to take their interiors apart alot) is the "airbag tool" for resetting light.
http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/airbagtool.htm
I made one of these when I was making trip to Radio Shack to get parts for the "auto window up" mod. It takes the skill out of the "play the drums" proceedure. Plus I got a good eye roll out of my mechanic.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
just an update to the thread, if some of you have a gen3 swap and it didnt come with airbag wired into the diagnostic port then you can do this at the kickpanel on connectors ie3 and ie4.

·
Registered
313 Posts
velandia said:

a) turn ignition to ACC

just got done doing this, yes it works. however "1 mississi" seems to be too long. .5s is the MOST you should be waiting for. timing is more along the lines of .25s.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I JUST DID IT! My car has had it's air bag sensor on for 3 Years!!! Yes 3 years, and I finally got it to turn off. Someone used the pill box on my car once, but it didn't turn off the airbag light.

I just put a 4 inch wire onto TC, a 4 inch wire onto AB, and attempted to play the drums to E1. On the 3rd try it worked. I didn't even remove the key from the ignition. I just kept trying to "play the drums". Wow, 3 years of that damn air bag light being on, and this is all I had to do!!!

Edit: Actually, I never knew about "playing the drums" until I noticed this thread right now. Also, I checked the airbag code a long time ago, and the code stated there was a connection problem somewhere in my steering wheel. Which I never understood, because I double-checked that the Airbag was plugged in. I just can't believe it was just this.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
h00t said:
just got done doing this, yes it works. however "1 mississi" seems to be too long. .5s is the MOST you should be waiting for. timing is more along the lines of .25s.

According to the BGB you should hold the wire to ground for 0.5 to 1.0 sec. So 0.5sec is the LEAST amount of time the wire should be held down.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but I just put an aftermarket steering wheel on and now my airbag light won't turn off. Which fuse do I pull; none of the fuses on my car say "airbag". I have a 91.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts