MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to move the fresh/recirculating air control, it is EXTREMELY stiff. I disconnected the cable from the control head for further testing. Whatever flap the cable controls must be jammed in some way. Please tell me I don't have to remove A/C lines to get to the problem. Anyone familiar with this?

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
One of the hinges on the air control door is probably jammed / broken - or the cable is binding. No, you don't have to remove the A/C lines - but it IS a PITA - 'cause you have to virtually remove the dash to get to it.

I'm assuming also that you have a pre-'87 car, because the '87 and later had pneumatic (vacuum) controls.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ITA-MR2, PITA is okay, breaking open the A/C would be less okay. I am restoring my 86. I sent the dash out to be recovered so at least I can see to work on the problem. The black cable that controls the problem part goes back behind the cooling unit and that's where I lose track of it. Please get me started. Is the idea to remove things from the left and work towards the vent? This problem seems like a fairly big deal to address but I would have really been crying if I had put the entire dash back together before discovering this.

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
It goes to a lever on the actual air control door, which is inside the heater air box. The access is outside the box - IIRC it is on the back side (toward the front firewall), however. Most likely, you'll end up having to open the air box.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Mine is so stiff that the little cable/rod thing bent. This is the second one I destroted b/c of it. Aggrivates the crap out of me, but never have the time to tear out half of the dash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the vacuum kind and it doesn't work right... a mouse made his house in it (since evicted and dwelling plowed under :) ) but it still doesn't move, though it will move if I "nudge" it. How do I remedy this?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since there are a number of folks with this problem, I intend to determine the nature of the failure and post my results. As soon as it gets warm enough (shouldn't be long in Texas), I'm going to disassemble both an 86 and an 87 at the local junkyard and get the model in my head for what goes wrong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
wow maybe that y my bolt on that dial/switch./thing is removed, i can still slid it tho with out the bolt but hard to get back to the fresh air spot

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
samweber said:
Since there are a number of folks with this problem, I intend to determine the nature of the failure and post my results. As soon as it gets warm enough (shouldn't be long in Texas), I'm going to disassemble both an 86 and an 87 at the local junkyard and get the model in my head for what goes wrong.
Taking LOTS and LOTS of pictures would be greatly appreciated~!
Sadly for me I destroyed the cable while poking around..

I snapped a couple pictures while trying to find the problem on my car.

The cable:

The lever (I broke.. something, as you can see):

Good luck on your research.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a plastic clip that holds that arm in place. That may be all that broke. From your picture, I don't see any cracks in the control head plastic. I was able to observe the ENORMOUS stresses put on the control head when trying to move the lever and I backed off just in time to keep from snapping something.

I'll definitely take a lot of pictures.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
samweber said:
I backed off just in time to keep from snapping something.
I'll definitely take a lot of pictures.
I read your other post and searched for this one. My 86 cable is very stiff to move also. Takes a lot of force to get it to actuate. I'm very interested in finding out the root cause. John

·
Registered
8 Posts
air recirc control

I've been having such a great time with this forum that I got into my dash this weekend. I have the frozen recirc cable and..... the temp control that is either hot or cold with no adjustment. My recirc arm was off the clip (as in the pictures). I was able to move the rod that attaches to the heater with a screw driver after removing the glove box and following the cable. I lubed it but still can't put much pressure on it as the arm may pop off again. At least it is now in the half open position. Any one know what the piece looks like that holds the arm on? The other interesting item was the sensor? that one thread said controlled the heater temp. It's in the lower right corner below the radio and has a slotted cover. There appears to be a tiny cage in there. My question is ...is it supposed to spin? Mine just quivers. It was covered with lint crud so I blew it out and when everything was back together, the system seems to be acting differently. Fan speed changes with different settings. Didn't get to take it out though. Anybody have some of those kind of dash parts for sale?

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
Bonsai Bucky said:
It's in the lower right corner below the radio and has a slotted cover. There appears to be a tiny cage in there. My question is ...is it supposed to spin? Mine just quivers.
That's a rare option in other than '85's (when it was standard, with A/C). Yours has the automatic climate control system. The thing in the cage is just a thermo-sensor. It shouldn't move about.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Hey Norm while were on the subject ... Is it plausible or easy to set up 85-86 cars with this vacuum type actuators from the 87+? or is the control unit different in a way it would not go in a 85-86?

·
RIP 8/6/1948 - 9/5/2011
16,626 Posts
Plausible? Maybe.

Easy? No way.

I've had no reason to even try, so I have no idea. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts