MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a quality side mounted intercooler that doesn't break the bank. I keep finding brands like godspeed and cxracing, which are cheap, but I do not trust the quality. Does anyone here have some experience with these ICs? Or is there any SMICs that you would recommend?

·
Registered
430 Posts
KO Racing.

I'm looking for a quality side mounted intercooler that doesn't break the bank. I keep finding brands like godspeed and cxracing, which are cheap, but I do not trust the quality. Does anyone here have some experience with these ICs? Or is there any SMICs that you would recommend?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would go used before going knockoff new. You can probably find someone selling a quality smic used on the forums for not too much more than one of the garbage eBay ones. Just keep checking once in a while.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Get an ebay kit. Buy a cold pipe from one of the vendors. I like berk cuz it's aluminum. Buy high quality couplers from any site u want. Get constant torque clamps from napa. U will still come in far under in price from one of the vendor kits with equal quality.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
The thing to watch out for on the ebay kits is the quality of the couplers and piping. There are a couple out there with decent quality couplers and piping. I bought one of those, but the multi-piece "greddy" piping is a bit of a pain to get right and still doesn't fit great. It works fine. If you are going to piece your own kit together, ATS racing sells the best fan.

If you want something decent quality, even if you put it together yourself you are looking at spending over $400.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Visited a mate over the weekend and he had a new chinese mr2 SMIC that he had just received. I was expecting it to be pretty horrible, but the quality was surprisingly good. Good enough that i'm going to order one myself if it passes a leakage test.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with e.widlingphoto in trying to find a quality used one. Even though all the vendors use the same ebay core that is not the problem. The ebay kits pipes, couplers and clamps are known to be the problem plus they don't come with a fan and shroud or a blockoff plate. Also if you were to piece one togther it will end up costing more than you think and will be just about as much as quality one:

ebay intercooler kits: $143.99-$199.99 usually shipped
Berk coldpipe: $49.99 + shipping
ATS fan and shroud: $150 + shipping
ATS blockoff plate: $30 + shipping

=$373.98 + shipping - $429.98 + shipping (And that's also not including couplers or constant torque clamps)

^As you can see money adds up fast. You'll easily be able to find a quality used kit for $350-$450 (GReddy, KO Racing, ATS, Berk, etc) that comes with everything you need and you won't have to go through all that hassle of piecing a kit together. Plus you'll have the reassurance that everything fits well too from the very beginning.

Or you could just buy a new kit too from ATS for $599.00 or KO Racing for $570.00 but i'd suggest searching the Parts Swapper section first before you buy new.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Don't buy the ATS kit. I love those guys but their intercooler kit is just an ebay kit. I built the exact same kit off of ebay and the fitment of the pipes isn't great, and it has a lot of couplers because the pipes are 2 pieces each. Go with RacerX kit. It includes a full single piece hot pipe, you won't find that on the KO racing kit. Honestly I think the best kit would be the RacerX piping with the ATS fan.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a RacerX kit with an ATS fan. I have not had any heatsoak from drag racing or autocrossing all day in +90° It comes down to having a good fan, the 9" ATS.

My Gen 3 is about 285whp btw.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would go used before going knockoff new. You can probably find someone selling a quality smic used on the forums for not too much more than one of the garbage eBay ones. Just keep checking once in a while.
Yes! ebay is the same core as many vendors. How much research have you done???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts