MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for you guys who have aftermarket seat belts like the sparco, where do you bolt the seat belt to, so that it would be tight. i just overlap the belt over my seat and use a bolt and nut to tighten it. i wonder if there is a place in the car where you could bolt the seat belt to because it don't seem too safe doing what i did. thanks.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
i rember reading somewere that if u have a harness in your car it needs to be mounted back a certain height above your shoulders or somthing like or else if u got into an accident theyb would do more harm then good. but dont quote me on that.

is the car a daily driver? i heard a harness for daily driving gets in the way and isnt to comfey. how is it for you?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
there's a custom kenji harness bar that's being produced and sold by medpilot in the nevdors for sale thread. looks really nice.

-tj

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ definately a good way to go. but if you want to bolt them em down, you need a fairly thick/strong eye bolts and washers to mount the shoulder harness to the firewall. they should be level with your shoulders or at a slight obtuse angle (meaning they must be bolted in slightly above the height of your shoulders (can't remember the angle to be exact). The lap belts bolts right where you take out the stockers

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i bolted mine to the firewall as a temporary fix until i could get a rollbar. unfortunately i rearended a stopped jetta going 80. fortunately my temporary fix worked just fine and saved my life. i'd still reccomend going with a harness bar though.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
willowlee said:
the car would be a daily driver. i think i'll look into the kenji harness bar. thanks guys.
Harnesses on the street are a bad idea. Keep your stock belt for the street in addition to the harness for the track.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
MATTHEWMR2 said:
why do you say they're a bad idea? they saved my life once before.
The biggest reason is that they hold you straight up and down in the seat, if you turn the car over the roof is going to crush you. A 3pt belt allows you to bend and move alittle with the car.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
Not to mention how can you turn your torso so you can check your bllind spots.
That's my reasoning.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Properly installed a multi-point restraint system can and WILL save your arse. Bolting to the firewall - VERY bad idea. The way safety belts are installed is very important!! If not installed correctly, you may be in worse shape after a crash than with your stock belt (as in ruptured internal organs, broken ribs, compressed spine). I would hope that anyone running a race seat restraint has it installed properly so it can do it's job in saving your life. PS belts do expire! Check your dates and have them rewebbed if necessary

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Nik said:
That's my reasoning.

^ this is also very true... but on my last car, a 04 wrx wagon, i had a shroth (sp?) harness that worked great for street. the rear was connected to the back seat's upper stock seatbelt mount. it also had a retracting device connected to a sensor that was mounted in the car. basically, while driving normally, the harness would act like the stock seatbelts allowing you to lean forward and back. however, under hard breaking, turning, rolling, ect... the sensor would lock the harness keeping you stuck to the seat. i had this installed and on when someone ran a redlight and smashed into the side of my wrx sandwhiching me between it and a small pickup truck. the crash was enough to total my 2 month old wrx and the pick up truck, but the harness worked peferctly and kept me stuck to the seat. the wrx also has class leading side impact crash ratings, so that helped too :thumbup and the resulting crash lead me to buy another mr2 :thumbup :thumbup

-tj

·
Registered
225 Posts
Also, most restraints allow you to use just the lap belt w/o shoulder harness. Obviosly nulls the saftey, but if you want to use that for trips to the store and the full 5 pt for track...works that way

·
Registered
225 Posts
Uhh, those guidlines look a bit sketch to me. Cables? Are you kidding me? The crimps are not even done properly. Even if cables were a viable option, it appears guy has them at an angle - bad. The mounting points of the shoulder belts are VERY important!! And cutting cables - yikes. No way of testing this guy's method, but I am emailing him about my concerns. I may have missed something, but as a mechanical engineer currently working on an offroad project with similar type belts, these instructions seem different than I have learned. Not trying to shake anyone's tree, but safety should be #1 for all.

Boz said:
as long as you're not an idiot and half ass it, it's fine. if done right, the firewall will take the pressure of a collision.

http://mr2beast.com/seatbelt.html

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
as long as the angle is at a higher point than the shoulders, its ok. or straight back. the idea is that if you mount them angled below the shoulder, on impact from an accident, there will be a tremendous amount of force crushing your back/spine, etc. That particular person is no longer the owner of that car, he sold it, the new owner's website is mr2beast.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
not meaning to steal the thread but why is it that all threads start out with good info and then become a bitching match over who's right or wrong. all this guy wants is info not to listen to people bitch and complain...

well i guess thats what i am doing too, but you all get the point

and the best thing to do WillowLee is to do some research your self and figure out what you think is the best idea. talk to some track racers and to a few quality import shops. JUST BE SAFE and spend the money to do it right

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
raysesmr2 said:
not meaning to steal the thread but why is it that all threads start out with good info and then become a bitching match over who's right or wrong. all this guy wants is info not to listen to people bitch and complain...

well i guess thats what i am doing too, but you all get the point

and the best thing to do WillowLee is to do some research your self and figure out what you think is the best idea. talk to some track racers and to a few quality import shops. JUST BE SAFE and spend the money to do it right
i agreed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts