MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Those are in ASP too?!
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the purpose high pressure, presure plates with full face disk's? usually the torque ratings between a 4 puck, 6 puck, and full organic disk's aren't that far apart. Other than drive ability(softer engagement) and grabbing abilities is there a reason to go with a puck design vs a full face design? obviously i don't want a clutch that engages so harshly, with no give, that it breaks the tranny. Are full face disk good for slipping the clutch for drag racing or are puck disk's? 6 vs 4 puck?

·
Those are in ASP too?!
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well here is the response I got on a differnt forum

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 pm Post subject:

Full face organic discs do NOT like to be slipped. They can do it, but you are killing its clamping force with each slip of the clutch. When organic material see high heat (from acts like slipping) they begin to glaze, after glazing, they no longer grab the friction surfaces of the pressure plate or flywheel. Your effect friction surface area dwindles with each slip of the clutch. Once an organic material starts to slip, it keeps slipping till it cools back off, this is a quick way to lose your legs.
6 puck style discs offer far superior clamping abilities when compared to full face. They can be slipped and are more forgiving (though they will still glaze if you heat them enough). If you actually have the chance to drive the two styles (full face vs sprung 6 puck) you will see that the sprung hub 6 puck is only slightly harsher than the full face. It is the sprung hub that is saving you here. The sprung hub will keep your tranny alive. The horror stories you hear originate from the "unsprung" clutches. These DO engage harsh, but if you are man enough you will drive them on the street anyway. Unsprung provide no cusion to the drivetrain when the clutch engages, it is a very violent "right now" sort of engagement.
Another subject is that puck style clutch disc usually have a more aggressive material on the pucks, and this aggressive material "grabs" the metal of the pressure plate and flywheel, providing a higher clamping load. Thats why pressure plate A will have a higher clamping force with a puck disc than with a full face. The idea here is that it wears the flywheel faster because it actually bites the two surfaces, but in my experience, it is negligable.
I have my own special recipe for pressure plate/clutch disc combos that work the best, but I'm keeping that secret.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts