MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MR2 v6 owners:

I just bought a really nice 1991 MR2 v6 swapped car with a '97 Camry engine and ECU. Everything is spotless except every once in a while I get P0441 and 0446 error codes. I went to a local Toyota shop and the mechanic said there is no way to get rid of those codes permanently without re-programming the camry ECU. This is because the camry ECU is looking for a camry EES which is not part of the MR2 car. There may be and probably isn't anything wrong with the engine or the fuel emission system. Does this make sense?

Has anyone come across this issue and if so how was it solved? If its true what I was told, I would think this would be a very common issue on any '97 and later V6 swap most owners would run into.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Those are EVAP system fault codes. Do you know if your car has the 97 Camry EVAP box installed? If it's missing, that would explain the codes, since there are ECU-controlled solenoids on it.

I swapped a 1MZ into my previous MK2, and hooked up the 97 Camry EVAP box as per the factory diagrams. It never gave me any EVAP codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure about the EVAP box from the donor '97 Camry, but I'll try find out. If its not there, I ll try source one on eBay and have it installed.

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
97-98 evap box is 77740-33062 (Japan production) or 77740-33080 (NA production)
~$300 new or <$100 used. Used ones can have faulty valves by this time. Be aware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi @JimKing, the old owner warned me that VCVs may be bad, which is why I see P0441/0446 codes. I think he said there are three. I will upload the picture of the engine. How hard are they to source and replace. thanks

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I hate these codes, but you'll just have to do the process of elimination.

The canister 3-way VSV most certainly causes both codes on 97-99 systems. With swaps, wiring is also an area to look into as a joined wire could've broken loose. Could replace VSV and go from there.

Engine side purge VSV is expensive and usually only throws a purge code.

Only other thing is the vapor pressure sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts