MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started hearing this knocking sound a month and a half ago. I took off the oil pan and there were all these metal shavings under the #1 rod. Bad news. So I polished the crankshaft with sandpaper for 3+ hours and put in new bearings. I knew this was just a bandaid but I didn't have money to fix it properly. It lasted until two weeks ago when the knocking sound returned and transformed into a crashing sound accompanied with random pings which sounded like stuff hitting the oil pan (bad?). So anyway, I knew it was toast, but I got it home. And also, oil was being forced out of the valve covers, and when I checked the oil, large amounts of smoke poured out of the cap hole/ dipstick hole. My dad, who has been a mechanic for 38 years, says it also sounded like it burned a piston. I have a 180mm NST crank pulley on it, and I know that a larger crank pulley creates a lean spot below 3500 rpm. Do you guys think that that could have been a contributing factor to why the piston burned. I know it probably didn't cause the rod bearing to fail though. If that is why it burned, now we have a really good reason to get a gruntbox, besides performance. And don't worry, the '2 isn't dead for good. A JDM ae92 4agze motor is now sitting in my garage waiting for me to put it in.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I hate to tell you this but it sounds as if you had the timing too far advanced......

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
How much did the JDM GZ motor cost you?

This GZ in this car I have has over 200,000 miles so I am thinking it will let go any second

On your question I don't know that much about GZE's yet but how old was your O2 sensor

I been doing some searching and reading up and I though I saw 80k miles you should change the O2 sensor

For a stock car no big deal if you don't change but I would think with a pulley the O2 sensor would be even more important

Davegt27

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The JDM 4agze cost me $999.09 shipped. Here's the link, maybe the guy will be selling another. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8030154396&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT The O2 sensor was less than a year old and looked fine when I took it out today. Also, I took the motor out today. It took me 9 hours. I've never taken a motor out of a car before and I had very little help doing it. What a pain in the a$$. Anyone interested in an ae92 4agze trans? It comes with a good(ish) clutch and flywheel if ya want it. Seller said it was good and only had 35000 to 45000 miles on it, but I can make no guarentee as I have no way to test it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts