MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone else afraid to go higher? maybe its just me, but, the car seems to get small, fast vibrations. there are no funny noises and it likes to go up high. i had a supra that vibrated the same way past 5k. maybe its just me. i should be used to it, i had a neon with solid metal motor mounts. does anyone else that revs past 6k get any vibrations, cause id like to go higher:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it any engene that is slightly off balance will do that at higher rpms, what type of moter mounts do you have and how many miles is on you engene?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
6000?!?! man thats just gettin into the power band... the car's still pulling like all get out at 6k.
I usually scold myself for shiftin at 8k when i could hold on for another 500 or more without hitting the limiter. :p

I need to find a way to irk another 500rpm from my car. Just so i can bury the tach needle completely off the dial...

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
I hit redline all the time. Never scared. ;)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The only time i'd be afraid, is if my car wouldn't go past 6k...

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
yup, i'll agree there. if i can't make at least 2k more over 6, i'm left wondering whats wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
don't be afraid of reving these engines. As long as they're in decent shape, and have some oil in them hitting the rev limiter isn't gonna hurt them.

On the street, if I'm just putzing around I'll ususally shift around 4k - 5k... if I'm on the track - either in the street car or the race car - run it as close to the rev limiter as possible and above 4500 rpm if possible (sometimes just a hair under that for smoothness).

If you're getting an odd vibration you may want to check it out, it should be fully smooth all the way to rev limit, at which point it'll act like a bucking bronco... (you'll know it when you hit the rev limiter) about 7500 rpm or so.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
shifting at redline is fun... and good for the engine assuming you are only up there for short bursts... it cleans the carbon out of the engine... the neon gets regular stints up to the 7250 redline... and the mr2 got past the 8k mark a number of times :)... as it will when it is running again lol.

mark

·
Registered
185 Posts
I usually shift under 5K.

One day, I took it to over 6K, putting the pedal to the metal. My pedal, for some reason that I still don't know, dropped to the floor and got stuck. I redlined over and over ... buzzz buzzzzz buzzzz. I parked, shutdown and pull up the pedal. Soon I got an engine light when I drove home. It read code 12 ... RPM signal problem. I cleared the code, but whenever my engine warms up (when temp guage reads 47%), my engine light comes back. Also, when I restart my car when it's warm, my RPM bounce and go real low like 400-500 and it feels like it's going to stall. I have to shutdown and restart and the RPMs go back to 900. When my car is cool, it drives fine and the engine light disappears by itself. But, I will never go 6K again. :(

P.S. Anyone knows what's wrong with my RPM signal (error code 12) when the car is warmed up? Why does the engine light go on when warm and go away when cool? Is by distributor busted?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its got stock mounts, motors got like 37k on it. i usually take it to 6k, but i havent taken it over. ill have to try it in second one day. donalson, i used to have a sohc 98 neon with a mopar pcm, id smack the rev limiter every now and then on it. pretty neat :thumbup

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I get a smell at artound 7k so Im guessin it might be clutch....=/
Also the power doesnt seem to be a real burst at higher, like 6500k and up.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
aero86 said:
its got stock mounts, motors got like 37k on it. i usually take it to 6k, but i havent taken it over. ill have to try it in second one day. donalson, i used to have a sohc 98 neon with a mopar pcm, id smack the rev limiter every now and then on it. pretty neat :thumbup

lol... mine is DOHC... w/ the ACR gearing 1st goes by VERY quick... it's funny when you smack the limiter just as you are shifting :)... also the PCM is a lot more agressive... prob very close to the mopar unit... not sure though... havne't been haging out on neons.org for a while now... moding the neon is a temptation i don't need :)

mark

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i modded mine, and it was quick:)

anyway, so, i should be alright abou 6k?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
should be all right all the way to the 7500+ redline :)

i almost did an intake on mine... DOHC has no need of an exhaust although a nice header would be kewl... damned cracked manifolds lol.... beyond that... i can brake wheels loose in 1st and 2nd no problem... if i added much more power i'd need the normal gearing tranny lol

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
take the last bend out of the exhaust, right before the muffler would help. yeah, but, youd loose so much acceleration if you got rid of the trans.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
it's nice clean mandrel bends... 2.25 or 2.5" exhaust... i like the low exhaust tone stock... only way i'd dump it is if i went turbo ;-)... same reason i'd go w/ the other tranny... but 29mpg is good for delivering pizza... don't think i'd get the same if i went to boost the thing lol... for now it does it's job... if i don't sell it like i realy want to (another 10k miles = the 105k mile work argg... and the HG is still in tact so thats sure to go soon) if i get it to the 105k point though i think it'll stay around untill its dead lol...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
anybody who has ever autocrossed in one of these cars knows that redlining all youw ant is fine. my car (before i crashed it) had 130k on it and i still pulled REALLY hard, even after treating it like it was bulletproof, which it basically is. its the only way to drive those NA's. mine had pretty lazy synchros in it too so i had to redline to keep above 4500. my new 86 SC will be a different story though ;);) hehe

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yayayaa, i went above 6k:) big difference in acceleration. it sure screams though. took it to about 6800. did it 4 or 5 times tonite. probably wont do it much though, just in case:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts