MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, I got a question, and I'm probably going to be sounding like a dumb-ass (as usual). I've got a 4agze currently, and I'm working on swapping in my 20v silvertop. Can I use the AFM off of my 4agze for the 20v 4age? Also, I might be keeping the supercharger on for the 20v, so will that effect the AFM? Would it be better to use the AFM from the 4agze? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the wiring harness and ECU from the 20v on the way. I can get the AFM from the same guy, but I just wasn't sure if I could use what I already have. I won't be touching the internals of the 20v at all. It's a JDM swap, directly from Japan, no one else has touched the engine. It should run like a top if I leave it stock, and I don't want to tear it appart. The 8 psi I'm getting from my s/c right now is low enough to where I can use it safely with the silvertop. Obivously, it will be some work. I'll have to pipe the intercooler into the trunk probably just to make it work, and I'm going to have to do some work on the JDM tranny I got with the engine.

·
3,519 Posts
Casualsax3: I hate to differ but the 91-ish v6 camry AFM has been ran with NO problems by mr220v for a while now. If you need a "stock" 20v AFM just grab one of these. I also have ran the AFM off my 91 3sgte mr2. The outlet of the afm is a little big but it runs just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
casualsax3 said:
There is no known USDM AFM that will work with the 20v yet. It's been mentioned a few times that a Celica AFM *might* be able to be modified, but nobody's confirmed yet.

I use one from a 91 camry v6. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of others that would work.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
big issue is what the ecu will be expecting, and since you're using a s/c with the 20v, i don't think either the stock GZE ecu (won't control VVT) nor the stock 20v ecu (won't do fueling for boost) will work. So if you're going to use some other EMS, then it will most likely work with many AFM's once you get it adjusted right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is the AFM from a '91 Lexus es250 the same as the '91 Camry v6? I thought they were essentially identical drivetrains. When I do a search for '91 Camry V6 AFM on www.car-part.com it comes up with the es250 as well as the Camry.

I just want to make sure the '91 v6 afm is a totally 100% compatible part before I buy one.

·
3,519 Posts
Ok, sorry about the delay as I had to make a mad dash for a part yesterday. I looked up the part in the EPC and this is what came up:

Camry 08/86 - 08/88 JPP
Camry 08/88 - 06/91 JPP
Camry 07/88 - 09/91 NAP
ES250 06/89 - 07/91 JPP

All are part number 22250-62020

The JPP is Produced in Japan and NAP is North American Production. So yeah, the ES250 is in there. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else looked up.

Also, mr220v: note there are 2 different part numbers for the 3sfe in the year range you said. Here they are and what they come off of.

3sfe
22250-74101
camry 08/88 - 06/91 JPP

22250-74140
Camry 08/86 - 08/88 JPP
Camry 08/88 - 06/91 JPP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.