MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I havent been around for long but I really enjoy these forums alot. You can almost find any information you need and people are really eager to help out. I visit this forum daily and try to learn as much as I can about the 3SGTE and its capabilites. I just got my black JDM MR2 Turbo GENII today and I took it for a test drive as soon as it arrived to shore. All I can say is WOW this thing handles and performs like a jet. Now I have also left over money to mod the beast. My goal is to get a fast spooling early 12 to mid 12 street car which is fairly reliable yet it can blast V8's down under.

What setups can you recommend, this is what I had in mind? Tell me what you think.

Apexi Power FC + Commander TUNED
Apexi Turbo Timer
Apexi S-AFC II
Apexi AVCR
Apexi Power Intake
CT20B Turbo
Aussie 3" Downpipe
Aussie 3" B Pipe
Custom 3" exhaust w/ Blitz Nur Spec Tip
Spearco A2A Sidemount Iintercooler
HKS 264 Cams
HKS Cam Gears
HKS SSQV
HKS FCD
Jun Flywheel
Clutch ???

This was all collected at the top of my head anything else I am missing, and what do you predict my final HP and QTR Mile will be?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
that would get you your goals of high to mid 12's. It's all in the tuning. You might also want to upgrade the fuel, IE at least supra 550cc injectors, wolfkatz rail, and a 255 fuel pump (walbro/supra). You should mod the suspension and brakes to handle that much power though. being able to go fast is one thing, but controling and stopping it is another :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it compulsory for me to upgrade fuel ? i was hoping to go low 12 with those mods and without fuel upgrades.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No need for the SAFC if you have a Power FC? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
your going to have to get injectors pump and rail to make this power safely...also maybe a adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

ever think about another turbo? you could pick up a used td06 kit for a little more than a ct20b, plus it comes with a downpipe, so it equals out the same or even cheaper maybe :)

G

·
Cant you get a good used microtech for like $900? why not just do that.

I would do this:

Microtech
Apexi Turbo Timer
*deleted*
Greddy Profec-B spec2
DIY intake
CT20B Turbo
DIY 3.5inch dp
DIY 3.5inch "b" pipe
Custom 3.75" exhaust w/ Blitz Nur Spec Tip
Spearco A2A Sidemount Iintercooler
HKS 264 Cams
HKS Cam Gears
HKS SSQV
HKS FCD
Jun Flywheel
Spec stg3

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to go off track here but i just want some advice...

before i recently got my mr2 i wanted to make sure that i did all the work on my car myself. i have had no experience whatsoever working on an engine and i consider myself more of a good driver than a technical guy. I know how everyhting within an engine functions but have never attempted to work on one. do you think its possible for me to learn by attempting it on my own in the garage. lets say by installing my first exhaust etc etc. i am an eager and fast learner but i lack the confidence.

any advice guys ? how did u guys start off doing this stuff ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
DriftR55 said:
.....i wanted to make sure that i did all the work on my car myself. i have had no experience whatsoever working on an engine.... I know how everyhting within an engine functions but have never attempted to work on one. do you think its possible for me to learn by attempting it on my own in the garage. lets say by installing my first exhaust etc etc. i am an eager and fast learner but i lack the confidence. any advice guys ? how did u guys start off doing this stuff ?
Be Very Careful. Learning usually includes breaking here and there. Start small. Work on things that aren't necessarily going to do any real damage to the car if you make a mistake. The MR2 isn'r a real good learner car. You'd be better off buying some old hunk for a couple hundred dollars and learning on that. My first car that i worked on a lot was a 89 civic. Everything is easy to get to and work on.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you're only running a CT20B, cams are a waste. Take that money and invest in a good water injection system like Aquamist.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts