MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi people,

As the title states, I am looking for more power! My car was dyno'd at the hubs @ Thor Racing and put out a respectable 301BHP at the hubs on 1.0 bar!!!! At 1.2 bar it showed signs of det, so was set at 1.0 bar and the car was still pulling so i was told by Thor!

It was a cold day and Thor have massive cooling fans too, so this helped some!

http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thordynorun2dg.jpg

I have a REV 5 NA converted to a Turbo using a REV 3 transplant (1995) with Revision 6 downpipe, Revision 6 exhaust, Fidanza flywheel, Apexi AVCR, Walbro 255lt/hr Urated Fuel Pump, Pace chargecooler, Apexi Induction kit, Revision 6 fan kit and everything else is standard rev3.

To sort out the fuelling etc I will be having the HKS F-CONV replaced with a standalone ECU, the Link XLEM

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/MR2_Turbo_Rev3_STAGE1-MR2T_Rev3_Stage1.asp

Now my attentiosn have been looking at a Turbo Upgrade. I was advised to go for a ground up turbo rather than a hybrid and dont want the turbo running at max. As with all power, I am looking at 350 RWHP ....but have been power hungry since the turbo transplant in August 05 so will no doubt want more power in the future....but no drag racing !!

So will want the upgrade turbo to compliment future power gains and mods, namely forged pistons, cams etc.

Ive been lookign at the ATS TD06 and looking at the UK IMOC site, members that have them state that the TD06 just keeps on pulling to the red line.

Will the TD06 just pull like a CT20b at lower revs or will I not see gains until higher revs and/or mods? Will I have to have forgies etc put in to see any difference?

Is the TD06 the best turbo for my mods and power needs? What other Turbos could be used to extract low down power and top end too?

Pardon all the questions, I have a heavy right foot, but dont understand all the technicalities of the turbo etc

Any help will be appreciated! :thumbup

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Na to 3sGTE

Hi,

The car started as a 3sge, but is now a 3sgte car! I have a REV 3 engine (rear clip) transplanted into my REV 5 car by Rogue Systems :thumbup

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have been also looking and come across the KO racing Street Brawler 46 Trim giving slightly faster spooling than the TD06. or the Garrett GT28?

Anyone have experience of the two or the difference negligible.??

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Either way you go you're going to have to compromise. If you want top-end power - 400HP, then you will have to give up low-end spooling. If you want real quick spooling and low-end grunt then you have to give up some top-end. There is no turbo made that anyone has put on a 3sgte that will give you full boost at 3000rpm and still deliver 400WHP up top.

Under 320whp (~370BHP) a GT28RS is the spooling champion and has been dyno'd to make 200 ft.lbs of torque at 2800rpm at the hubs. But if you're already using at ct20b you're not going to gain a whole lot of power up top (maybe 30whp), however it should be more durable and reliable over time. Some speculate with cams and intake manifold the GT28RS would sacrifice very little down low, but probably get darn close to 320+ up top. And you should be able to keep your OEM pistons.

Over 320whp either the ATS TD06-20G or the SB46 is a better bet, but you'll have to wait the extra 500-700rpm to spool-up. You'll still need the cams and intake manifold, but I would also recommend forged pistons at this point.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts