MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help figuring out what to do with my car. I want to swap it over the winter and have it ready by next summer (not sure how realistic that is) but I honestly don't know where to start. Originally, I thought gen4/5 was the way to go until i started looking for wiring diagrams and changed my mind. Maybe gen3 is the way to go? what would I need as far as parts (other than the crate engine) to get it going? cost estimation?
Any help would be appreciated, even just a link to another thread, since i know this is a pretty common swap and plenty of people on here are knowledgeable.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Set on a 3S engine?
If it were me, and I love turbo cars, I would be looking for a V6 swap. Just look so nice in the bay, saves weight, easy to get parts, runs on 87 etc.

When pricing things out, I would, also, consider upgrades. Is it better to go ahead and get an aftermarket intercooler and swap it out while the engine is out? Same for intake, downpipe etc. It'd be much easier with the engine out of the car (gosh dang I hated the intercooler install ha).

Also, while youre there, clean like crazy, will be hard to access certain crevices etc while it's all put back together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set on a 3S engine?
If it were me, and I love turbo cars, I would be looking for a V6 swap. Just look so nice in the bay, saves weight, easy to get parts, runs on 87 etc.

When pricing things out, I would, also, consider upgrades. Is it better to go ahead and get an aftermarket intercooler and swap it out while the engine is out? Same for intake, downpipe etc. It'd be much easier with the engine out of the car (gosh dang I hated the intercooler install ha).

Also, while youre there, clean like crazy, will be hard to access certain crevices etc while it's all put back together.
so, i already have a bunch of exhaust parts i picked up for free from a guy with a gen2 swap (muffler, downpipe, flex pipe) and i figured I would need a lot less aftermarket swap stuff to fit a 3s, since it bolts in for the most part, so I'm pretty much set on a 3s, although the v6's are cool.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
so, i already have a bunch of exhaust parts i picked up for free from a guy with a gen2 swap (muffler, downpipe, flex pipe) and i figured I would need a lot less aftermarket swap stuff to fit a 3s, since it bolts in for the most part, so I'm pretty much set on a 3s, although the v6's are cool.
The 2GR is a bolt in swap now. Hell, there’s only 1 engine mount needed and that’s readily available.

You’ll probably be doing wiring either way if you keep your NA body harness.

My 3S was fun, but they’re all very old now, even most Gen 5’s.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Wiring is either really difficult if you don't know what you are doing or you just send your harnesses off and get someone to build them for you. Or the 2GR can be a plug and play if you buy the right engine harness and adapter harness.

GEN4/5 you'd be wise to get that one merged and the GEN5 ECU needs to be modified to work.
GEN3 could be plug and play with some slight repinning of the harness but they are quite hard to find as is an SW20 MR2 harness for a GEN3.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I've talked to several competent owners who've performed their own 2GR swaps and I've followed one real-time too. They all say the same thing and I agree: it's not bolt in.
That's curious to note.
What makes it a non bolt in swap? If you bought all the 2GR swap parts from the various vendors and include wiring as part of that group, does this not make it bolt in?

·
Administrator
5,901 Posts
What I meant is not everything lines up perfectly, there's some work to be done. It's not as simple as slinging a wrench and bolting in stuff. It's not rocket science, but it's not an overnight project either.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
Either way, coming from a 5s car, you'll need to drop the tank and put a MR2 turbo, Supra or Walbro pump in there.
Then there's the transmission. The S-series is fine with a 3sgte, but the preferred option with a V6 is an E153 or E351. Either of those adds at least $2000 to the cost, as you will need axles as well, and the shifter adapter and mounts for the E351.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've talked to several competent owners who've performed their own 2GR swaps and I've followed one real-time too. They all say the same thing and I agree: it's not bolt in.
I would not say that at all.

What I meant is not everything lines up perfectly, there's some work to be done. It's not as simple as slinging a wrench and bolting in stuff. It's not rocket science, but it's not an overnight project either.
That I also dont agree with. Everything 100% lines up. Please be more specific with this. the motor just bolts into the car with the same level of effort as a 3sgte.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As someone who has owned multiple different 3s swaps, my best advice would be to go 2gr instead. The 2gr is so much easier and ends up being a more enjoyable vehicle. Depending what level of fabrication you want to perform, you can have anywhere from complete DIY to a 100% bolt-in swap. The only level of custom that I did with my exhaust was that I made my own wiring harness and "axleback" exhaust, but both of those items are avaialable to purchase instead of fabricate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Every single part I got for my 2GR swap lined up perfectly and made the swap completely bolt in. All the parts from Frankenstein Motorworks, Wilhelm Raceworks, and Woodsport had perfect fitment. The 2GR swap is really as simple as slinging a wrench and bolting in stuff.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What "extra" about the 2GR needs to be done that a gen 4/5 3S-GTE wouldn't also need to be done?

The average engine swap (not engine replacement) is not a weekend affair for most people IMO. Honestly, there's no way I'd sign up for going from a 5S-FE to a gen 4/5 3S-GTE in only one weekend start to finish, and this isn't my first rodeo.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Depends on definition of bolt-in. Bolt-in to me is a day or two, maybe a long weekend at most.
Bolt in is, not having to weld, cut, bend, fabricate. If you can buy all the parts and bolt and plug them together then that is bolt in, regardless of how long it might take you. Ok maybe the only thing that would be special is the fuel pump wiring in the tank, but that's even required with a 3SGTE swap.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts