MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a noob. im not running all water, but coolant more diluted than its supposed to be.

will anything blow up or what?

·
Registered
602 Posts
higher freezing temp, lower boiling temp. temps vary upon mixture. should be ok if nothing overheats. you should correct the problem though.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
The biggest reason to use anti-freeze coolant in an area that doesn't freeze is for the lubricants and corrosion inhibiters that it contains. That's also why you should change it every 3 years.

In the race car, we use about half the anti-freeze recommended, plus an additional water pump lube / corrosion inhibiter, and water wetter - which is basically a glorified detergent. ;)

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
yes I run about 1/2 - 2/3 of what's recomended, the car will run colder with less % of coolant.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hrmm.. thing is im in Miami FL so its never gonna freeze...

and my car does seem to be overheating, although i cant tell cuz 1. im a noob and 2. my coolant temp sensors arent working :/

so ur saying detergent = :ghetto: water wetter?

btw if anyones looking, how many water temp sensors are there (ive seen sites say theres more than one)??

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Water Wetter is a surfactant. So is detergent. I wouldn't go putting Ivory Snow in there, but something like Simple Green . . . .?? :D

There are 3 sensors: one for the temp gauge (near the alternator, on an N/A), one for the ECU (on top of the tranny - by the thermostat) and one in the radiator (to turn on the fans).

·
Registered
602 Posts
kakapoopie said:
hrmm.. thing is im in Miami FL so its never gonna freeze...
keep in mind that with less antifreeze than water, you are also decreasing you're coolant's boiling point. which is a risky proposition if you live in florida where it's nice and toasty warm..... lucky bastard. i think its 24 degrees right now where i am.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I run distilled water and water wetter in my 89 MR2 during the summer and my car runs alot cooler than with antifreeze. I change back to antifreeze in the winter. I have been doing this for over 8 years and have never had any problems. My neighbor has a 1995 corvette that was running warm a few years ago and I told him what I was doing so he tried it. His car also runs alot cooler so I am sold on what I am doing. Here in the desert when it gets over 115 degrees you need to do everything you can to keep your engines cool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
should have 4 coolant temp sensors...and if they aren't working its a good reason for the overheating. seriously consider the detergent so you dont find a nice rusty block like i did on the first tear-down...yuck...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
a note about using detergent as a "water wetter" - you only need a few drops!!! its just there to break the surface tension, stick in a load of it and youll have bubbles emerging from every orifice :lol:

it certainly does work though. water is a funny liquid, if you dont break the surface tension then it sort of attaches itself to rough surfaces and edges within the coolant system, which hinders the flow, and thus reduces the cooling. to put it simply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts