MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how loose you need to get the alternator pivot bolt before the alternator starts to move for you. I've got mine sticking out a decent amount, and made sure the bolt on top of the alternator as well as the adjustment bolt are both extremely loose, and the alternator refuses to move. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
3,390 Posts
Once the bolt is loose it shouldn't hold the alternator position. The bracket can be very tight on these.

There are 3 bolts you need to loosen.
  1. The main pivot bolt. Check
  2. The adjustment bolt, this is the long one facing front to back.
  3. The adjustment locking bolt facing left to right on the top of the alternator bracket.

Based on you description you have 1, 2 and 3 loose so it's probably just very tight at the main pivot bolt. There seems to be an insert in the bracket that can move inwards and make the pivot bolt area smaller making it very hard to get the alternator in. I've had to grind the alternator down a little to get mine to fit because of this.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Yeah I've seen quite a few where all bolts loose and it just will not budge by hand. It's a common area for gunk build-up as well. What I usually do, is use a crowbar to help move/release it from being stuck. Depending on what I'm doing, I may even remove the alternator entirely and sand/shave down the pivot area a bit so that it pivots freely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I might as well check just to make sure this is the pivot bolt. From every diagram I’ve seen, it is, but even with it out and the top bolts loose, this thing is completely stuck right now. Might have to take a hammer to get it out if that’s the case
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Yes that's the pivot bolt down there, and has a counterpart nut. So best to do from down under :) queue Toto music

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super strange. So even with that bolt out and the bolts on top being super loose, it's still stuck. It's almost like the previous owner glued it to the alternator bracket lol

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Yeah, as I've mentioned I've seen that regularly. It just tends to be a very tight fit sometimes. Once I was replacing a customer's and it was 0.5mm bigger than the bracket inner length!! Had to shave it down to fit. In any case I usually have luck taking a crowbar (from underneath), going between alternator pivot point and bracket, and prying it out. The tricky part, is getting the alternator out with the stock B-Pipe and drive shaft! I found it's easier (especially w/out cruise control), to pull it out the top.

Reactions: cheoso

·
Super Moderator
3,390 Posts
I've actually got a specific tool that's part of an OEM tool kit that I use to deal with my alternator. I've had 9 failures in 7 different ways over 14 years and had to get it out many times to sort it out. It levers the alternator out of the lower bolt bracket. I've used it on other MR2s that I've helped the owners deal with alternator issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, as I've mentioned I've seen that regularly. It just tends to be a very tight fit sometimes. Once I was replacing a customer's and it was 0.5mm bigger than the bracket inner length!! Had to shave it down to fit. In any case I usually have luck taking a crowbar (from underneath), going between alternator pivot point and bracket, and prying it out. The tricky part, is getting the alternator out with the stock B-Pipe and drive shaft! I found it's easier (especially w/out cruise control), to pull it out the top.
Perfect! Good to know how to get it out. At first I thought my alternator was bad, but then when I moved the cruise control box, I realized there was no belt to begin with lol. So now I just need to reposition it and of course it won't move. Think you got me the info I need though

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've actually got a specific tool that's part of an OEM tool kit that I use to deal with my alternator. I've had 9 failures in 7 different ways over 14 years and had to get it out many times to sort it out. It levers the alternator out of the lower bolt bracket. I've used it on other MR2s that I've helped the owners deal with alternator issues.
Wow. Can't believe you've had that many problems with the alternator alone

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to see if you guys have any tips since I'm not making a whole lot of progress. I've been trying to pry the alternator out by getting a flathead screw driver in between the alternator and the area around where the pivot bolt is on the bracket. I have a crow bar but it's a little too thick to get in there currently. Is this the best way to do it or am I not thinking of a better solution?
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts