MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from London !! :thumbup
May sound a funny question but how far over could a strut of the suspension be moved if you put the adj topmount to it's inner most on the car ? (Tein)

I have adj camber at the bottom of the strut (where it attaches to the hub) - i have KW Variant 3 Coilovers - so am hoping I can make more clearance for an 8"rim ET35 inside rim against the colover strut by adjusting both cambers:

ie. "top" right the way in towards the centre of the car and then bottom to put the wheel back to correct camber - thus giving more clearance at the wheel's rim next to the strut

Please excuse the awful paintbrush picture but best i could do at work :lol:
kind of explains what i mean :oops: - I'm not 5 years old I promise !! :smile:

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I don't have much experience with the suspension on mk II's. You'd have to modify the top mount of the strut as well as its mount to the wheel hub, otherwise you'd be running mad negative camber and wouldn't get any extra space. Also, I'd assume there would be more camber change under heavy loads. Never done it myself however.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Why dont you use spacers, to get the wheel further out?

What I mean is, changing the geometry the way you want, will result in a horrific dynamic handling of the car.

Did you just buy the rims, or did you just buy the suspension?
And is it in the rear or front?

When you say, adj,camber at the bottom, are you talking about "crash bolts"?

T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomg said:
Why dont you use spacers, to get the wheel further out?
It's already an 8J rim .. don't want it even further out ! :eek:

Tomg said:
What I mean is, changing the geometry the way you want, will result in a horrific dynamic handling of the car.

Did you just buy the rims, or did you just buy the suspension?
And is it in the rear or front?

When you say, adj,camber at the bottom, are you talking about "crash bolts"?

T
Suspension is already on the car - KW full stainless steel coilvers (variant 3 set) .. but now looking for Adj Topmounts..
I have the Rims already, hence why I would like to get them on - I have used spacers before but that just makes teh outer rim more proud of the arch (fender)

Not sure what "crash bolts" are - but the camber at the bottom of teh coilover can be adjusted where it attaches to the hub - it's here where I would "correct" the massive negative camber that would be appliedby movibng the topmount over so much in order to possibly give more clearance between the strut and the inner rim of the wheel.

or is this just not possible / feasable ? :screwy:

EDIT - these are the front wheels by the way.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Its been done. Use adjustable top mounts to lean the tops of the struts in. Then, use crash bolts to get the camber you want. See the autox faq, http://web.mitsi.com/autocross/faq.html, for details on crash bolts.

Not sure about the exact offset, but Brad Badell ran 17x8's up front on his SCC Challenge car using that approach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
twoina2 said:
Its been done. Use adjustable top mounts to lean the tops of the struts in. Then, use crash bolts to get the camber you want. See the autox faq, http://web.mitsi.com/autocross/faq.html, for details on crash bolts.

Not sure about the exact offset, but Brad Badell ran 17x8's up front on his SCC Challenge car using that approach.

EXCELLENT news :thumbup

So I'm guessing if this method has been used on a Challenge car it's not going to effect the handling of my street car too much out of the norm ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Probably, But I am unsure what your problem is, I have 8" rims and the KW V3 on one of my MR2 project cars, and it aint rubbing the coil overs...granted it is wider.

I am still unsure what you mean by camber adjustment at the bottom of the strut, please explain.

T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tomg said:
Probably, But I am unsure what your problem is, I have 8" rims and the KW V3 on one of my MR2 project cars, and it aint rubbing the coil overs...granted it is wider.

I am still unsure what you mean by camber adjustment at the bottom of the strut, please explain.

T
wow ! someone else with the variant 3 ! - I'll answer your Q if you could answer another of mine :smile:

your Q: Well at teh bottom of the strutt you have the 2 bolts that connect it to the hub.. bottom one does not move (just a hole) - bit the top whole is a "slot" so you can adjust the camber of the hub by adjusting where you tighten the bolt up along this "slot"

What ET are your front 8" rims then ? seeing as you have no rubbing issues with the KW Variant 3

and also... what topmounts did you use as teh KW kit i bought in the UK said to re-use the stock topmounts - BUT, the supplier had to "Press" them on with 15tonnes of force as the strut was "just" a tiny bit too fat for them - currently KW (uk) are investigating this issue... what have you on yours ???
thanks so much !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh while i remember - just wanted to ad i do thave the suspension set very low - the spring seat (the purple plastic collar with teh allen locking nut) actually sits inbetween the rim and the rim protector of the tire (tyre) on my setup... how about yours ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
If i remember correctly, I have 17X8 up front with an offset of +14, and 18X9.5
+14 in the rear.
I understand about the top bolt hole beeing slotted, I was unsure if it was something I had missed.
I used the stock top mounts, and they fitted fine, however what trick did you use to get the top bolt on....
Mine are low, and the adjusting ring sits just outside the rubber, I think, I need to check that.
Keep in mind, the car is it on, isnt done yet, so we havent tighten down everything, just fitted it to make sure everything was fine.

T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+14 ET ?

well there's the difference ! - mine are ET35 - yours must really sit ouside the arches(fenders) ??

interesting - your topmount fitted ... looks like i got a rubbish set then as mine certainly do not ! :mad: - KW(uk) have been sent another set of OEM topmounts and they are due back to us....

as for fitting the nut - sorry i can't really help - as i had them fitted by the garage who supplied the Coilovers... - isn;t there a nomal trick to tightening up the nut on front coilovers - are you having the problem of the thread just going round and round with the nut - maybe someone else can shed some light ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Yes I have a wide body, and yes it "goes round, round, round" (singing that old 80's hit)
You should be able to use the brad bedell trick, but to be optimal, you should consider getting rims that fit your setup better.

T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok now I'm jealous - a TRD widebody !? :smile:

thanks for the replies Tomg.. puts my mind at rest that at least my idea is "workable"

thanks !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts