·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
In automotive paints there are several types

Acrylic Lacquer
Acrylic Enamel
Acrylic Urethane
Urethane Enamel

These three are single stage, the rest are base clear.

Urethane Base/Acrylic Clear
Urethane Base/Urethane Clear
Polyester Base/Acrylic Clear
Polyester Base/Urethane Clear

These are the types, within these are numerous variations. Low solids, high solids, booth clears, spot panel clears, fluorinated.....etc.

For mr2's the factory paints are usually Acrylic Enamel(single stage) For the white,yellow,red black. The Factory is Urethane base and acrylic clear.

A lot is going to depend on the amount of money you want to spend and the conditions you'll be shooting in. The acrylics are the least expensive, the urethanes are middle of the road. The polyesters are the most expensive and also the most difficult to work with because the conditions have to be perfect for them to yeild a nice product.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so all two stage is urethane or polyester?

Urethane Base/Acrylic Clear
Urethane Base/Urethane Clear
Polyester Base/Acrylic Clear
Polyester Base/Urethane Clear
from that it looks like you're saying all base types are compatable with all clear types.. but i know thats not the case :confused: is it just a matter of different formulations brand to brand?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Every brand has its own "systems". I wasnt saying all base is compatible with all clears. You need to make sure you use a system. PPG base with PPG clear etc. I know that many products can be innerchanged. But dont know all of them. I can base with Standox, and Chromabase and clear with Sherwin Williams. I try not to but occasionally i run into color match issues and have to resort to using another companies base.

To keep it simple i would just use the recommended base with the recommended clear for that base.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
There are acrylic basecoats but because they are very brittle they are used for nail polish and interior house finishes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can the 1991 mr2 Yellow (solar yellow i believe its called) be purchased as an exact colour match in a urethane base/urethane clear application? The factory paint I have now is quite faded and I wouldn't want to repaint it with the same acrylic enamel application. It does look great when new but fades fast and looks like crap.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Most paint systems have mix alternates formulated to get as close as possible to the factory single stage. Any base/clear is going to look different than a single stage, but it can be tinted to be really close. The base clear solar yellow looks very close to the single stage. I have seen them side by side, painted with Dupont Chromabase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.