MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, when I retired from road racing at the end of 2014, much to my surprise, my door to door and nose to tail good buddy Steve Beckley (ITB MR2 #87) bought "Yota," the #55 ITB MR2 from me. His intention was to encourage his son (Tyler) to attend PDXs with some proper safety equipment, plus he'd have a good backup car for himself, (another story and much trash talk about which car/driver would be quickest, etc.)
UPDATE:
Tyler attended our SCCA Competition School at Slummit Point last weekend and earned his competition license under extreme conditions. It took a lot of the sting out of hanging up the helmet just seeing and hearing Yota screaming around the track again, not to mention Tyler's grin shining through his helmet. I know how proud Steve was, and I think I even detected a little moisture in his eyes at one point.
Congrats to Tyler. Well done! Can't wait to see him kick the Old Man's ass!
:thumbup

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Getting your license in a snow littered track with miserable pit conditions truly is a test of a drivers wanting to be a track racer. Congratulations on your true grit.

Mister 2 Tim
Supercharzed ToyZ RacZing
A Toyota Race Team since 1987
South Florida SCCA
(it don't snow here, ever)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If he pulled that weekend without issue the dry is going to be cake! you guys should make the trip down to CMP in May! We should have a few MR2s there and we are sort of youngish.. well some of us are. lol

·
Next Race 4/12/14
1,563 Posts
It's been ages since I've had time to surf this site. Imagine my surprise when the first thread I see is about my son. So since the school, Tyler ran his first race. The weather was nearly as bad as it was at the school. The wet experience served him well as he qualified 5th and was the second highest qualifying RWD car. The adrenaline got the best of him and he had two offs during the race. He dropped to 13th and was only able to get one spot back before the checker came out. Sunday's race was dry. He qualified 8th and had an un eventful race and finished 8th. His best lap time was only about 1.5 seconds off of my best which came under much better track conditions with better tires.
His second race weekend is in a couple weeks. He'll be running on new Hoosier's. I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat my best lap if the weather cooperates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts