MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, new to the site, and very interested in possibly owning an mki one of these days and making it a dedicated track car. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to where i can perhaps read a little history and facts on these cars like the availabilty of the n/a and sc models. Their performance specs(stock and how well they respond to modds), engines codes, chassis codes, the works basically. I'm really starting from step one with my research on these cars...i'm commin from long years of being into hondas(and i will continue to love them) but its time to consider something more practical for track use. I've already read some of the "Is a mr2 a good first car" sticky and "ok i got a mr2, now what do i do??" sticky. thanks!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
bill's right. the mr2 can be competitive in some enviroments, but not that many any more. its one of the most fun cars i've ever driven (ok, actually it is the most fun), and you'll enjoy the pants off it, but you won't always win. But then again, in most motorsports arenas, the best car to have changes frequently, and thats an expensive race to keep up on.

I've got a book sitting on my bookshelf thats a nice read, but it a bit hard to cut an paste it here for ya. I'm not sure of an great sources other than this board. Continue searching on the different years, options, and models to figure out what best suits your needs (a lightweight, stripper model '85 or a more powreful s/c 89, etc.)

Another big question to ask is weather you're going to spend decent money on a good condition car with low mileage that will be well-taken care of and easy to work on, or a cheap, bargin car that you'll drop whatever motor you choose into and then promptly paint with Krylon. Sometimes it hard to justify spenidng on a nice car if you're only going to replace most stock items anyway with aftermarket, and then beat it up racing anyhow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've got a bunch of links on my links page that I found very useful when I was researching my car. Though in my opinion, MR2OC is the best there is. :thumbup

As for racing, I suppose the question is what *kind* of racing do you mean? The MkII is faster in just about every way, but there are some classes that allow only the MkI. The question then is would a MkI be competitive against the non-MR2 competition in that class?

The other factor is how important to you it is to *win* as opposed to having fun. The two are not mutually exclusive. But I have no high hopes of winning STS2 at autocross nationals. My car's not tuned enough for that, and while I'm not a bad driver, I'm not national level. And I'm OK with that - I just have a blast driving like a nut around cones or a road course, and occasionally I do win something for it. :) If you're in it mainly for the fun, a MkI MR2 is an excellent choice. :evillaugh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks for the responses so far fellas. Ideally, i would like to have it be a dedicated doad course race car. I'm not too big of a fan of autoX but i cant really say because i've never actually done it. Perhaps its the idea that you spend most of your times workin the cones than anything else =/. But what kind of road course leages can the mki's run in??? Just so i can get an idea on what kind of competition they go up against. I would LOVE to own an mkII but most aftermarket parts that i've seen for those would cost me my limbs. Not only that, i hear that they are a bit more of a skilled car to drive. Commin from FF vehicles, i think i'd want to start off simple and work my way up from there. Hell, if time and money allows it, hopefully one day i'll have a lotus elise =).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
so why is it that the mki isnt always compeditive? class restrictions?

theres ITA racing, and a guy here whose name ITAMR2 that races it, no idea to what success, but probably pretty good since hes still driving the same car after some time

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have no idea why it isn't always competitive, but I didn't mind. Since I am a girl, too, I just wanted to drive to practice. I really love my car because it's so fun to drive, but it would be nice to have more hp, though. I wish it was more competitve. That would be nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you do decide to race a Mk I be prepared for a lot of practice. The MK I is good, but thats if you know how to race it. I beat one of the new porsche boxsters a few weeks ago down the street. Than a few months back my friends and I had a togue race up in the mountains near us, and I powned them. They drove an '86, a 240sx, and a '96 Jetta. The MK. I typically has an advantage on very curvy tracks because its oversteer isnt too bad, and it turns very well. And I just run a basic JDM 4age.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tas02 said:
..."long years" @ age 19??
I second that.

Also consider this very important fact, the MK1 has virtually NO aftermarket support. Most of the mods done to the MK1 have to be done from scratch, that means many guys on the board have fabbed their own parts from metal, fiberglass, carbon fiber and all sorts of other materials.

There is a huge aftermarket for Hondas. Not so with the MK1, you're not going to be able to go to any speed shop and pick up bolt on parts. It's difficult enough to get replacement OEM parts for a MK1, not to mention performance stuff.

**Putting on my flameproof suit**
If you're looking to buy a sports car cheaply, that you can improve fairly easily, with parts readily available (meaning good aftermarket support), then I reccomend a 1990-95 Miata. The early Miata is a great performer, just as easy to work on and has a fantastic aftermarket support.

This is just an example of the stuff out there for the Miata:
http://www.miatamania.com/

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
as a simple trackcar i dont think it would have any problems, if classes arnt being considered(say your just running track days) then i dont really think the car has a weakpoint,

but why is it not "compeditive" in whatnot classes, or is it just hard to make compeditive, mechanically speaking?, lets say i had a Professional racecar driver and i asked him to set best times in a mki and a miata and a early civic/crx, what is it the mki lacks(power?)

between hpfreaks, twosrus, and Toda websites there seem to be a good amount support, maybe not huge though, ive never owned a popelar car

kwikfox, i dont thinky were supposed to talk street racing on the boards here, and unless your playing some goofy game like CS pwn is getting a little bit on the old side(IMHO)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kwikfox said:
If you do decide to race a Mk I be prepared for a lot of practice. The MK I is good, but thats if you know how to race it. I beat one of the new porsche boxsters a few weeks ago down the street. Than a few months back my friends and I had a togue race up in the mountains near us, and I powned them. They drove an '86, a 240sx, and a '96 Jetta. The MK. I typically has an advantage on very curvy tracks because its oversteer isnt too bad, and it turns very well. And I just run a basic JDM 4age.
Wow. That's awesome. I love taking turns in my car, too. Every now and then I go up to the canyons for a run. What year is your car? Do you have a stock 4ag in it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya, I would have to agree with RedHornet, the MK. I is not an easy, or cheap sports car to race, or build up. It also a pain in the intercourse ass to work on! IF you can find aftermarket parts for it, it will cost you your left nut and than some. But a person usually has to fabricate their own stuff for the car, this is where Home Depot comes in use sometimes :p For the "long years" you have, I wouldnt reccomend a MK. I

As to Ottobon, I work at Boeing, me and the other engineers use that language all the time. With me talking about street racing, I only used that as an example to show some of what the Mk. I is good for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ottobon said:
no but why is it not compeditive, or is it just hard to make compeditive, mechanically speaking, lets say i had a Professional racecar driver and i asked him to set best times in a mki and a miata and a early civic/crx, what is it the mki lacks...
The MK1 is competitive, in certain types of racing. Can you beat a Vette in a track road race? Probably not.

It just depends on what kind of racing Playboi wants to do. If he wants to do autox on the weekends and some light track stuff, the Mk1 is a great choice, especially if you follow the Grassroots Motorsports project Mk1 they're preparing for autox (shameless plug for the magazine, but I do love it so). If he wants to race against M3's, 350Z's and the like, then the MK1 is a bad choice.

In any motorsport, it's best to decide what kind of racing you want to do before you buy and prepare a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont plan on racing against vettes or porches by any means. I just plan on racing against vehicles in my same performance class. But i have no idea what classes mkI's are usually up against, say....stock for stock on a road course competition.

I've thought about playin with a miata but i suppose they aren't appealing enough to me. I've heard that because they are an open top vehicle, the bodies tend to flex noticably more than typical hard tops. I understand that they have a 50/50 weight distribution and are rear wheel drive but eh...if its not a newer miata, i'm not too interested. Another route i was thinkin about going with was possibly the i believe second gen rx7.But that means i would have to completely start from scratch in learning about the rotory motors.

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to achieve say 185RWHP on a sc motor??? If i can can get the car to run 12-13 sec. on the 1/4, i think that would give me a grin from ear to ear while still being a road course prepped vehicle. And does anyone know of any websites that DO sell aftermarket parts for these cars???

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Personally if I wanted a small, lightweight car for the track only, I would pick a Miata hands down. The first few years of Miata are 300-400lbs lighter than the majority of MKIs, they're track proven & there's so much more aftermarket & knowledge with them.

Not to say a MKI would be a bad track car, but the difference between a fast, great handling car that is a thrill to drive and actually winning against other people in a competitive situation is a big one ;) There are people that are very competitive with MKIs on the track, as mentioned before, ITA-MR2 is one of them. PM him if you want any information, he's a very helpful guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.