MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've had my 93 MR2, non turbo, for 15 years now. It's in PREEEETY ROUGH shape. However, I'm trying to fix it up now that I have a little money to do so. What I need help with at the moment if anyone can identify the parts in the images below. I would also like to know if anyone knows were I can get complete shocks and struts, with that deadly spring already done. I've looked all over, but and only find parts. If the complete shock isn't available, is it difficult to just buy the shock, strut, spring, and assemble them together, remove the entire shock from the vehicle, and not have to deal with removing the old spring at all? Thanks for you help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am not sure from the pictures what parts are you talking about. As for struts, I bought my suspension already assembled but since then swapped the inserts/springs/mounts. It is not hard, just need the right tools and time: spring compressor , 19mm , 14mm and 12mm socket and couple wrenches (One of them torque wrench). Impact gun would help to get the bolts loose. Google the mr2 strut replacement, and there is step by step guide for this.
Best place to look for parts are craigslist, forums and facebook.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Unlike other cars the springs are not deadly at all. Can simply push down on top plate by hand and then unthread nut. Helps to have an extra pair of hands.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the second pic... is that bar supposed to be bent like that? I'll be doing my balljoints sometime next week so if you still need help I'll take some pics of my mine
edit: the bar is called a strut rod according to part diagram, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be bent like that

If you're looking for drop in struts I think bilsteins are complete assemblies, check out the link below
http://www.mr2oc.com/64-mk2-suspension-braking/576297-bilstein-b6-struts-mkii-opinions.html

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
No. the control arm/strut rod should be straight! Take a big hammer and pound it back straight. You can pound it back into shape ..no need to look for a different one. Ive done this a few times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I know about the bent in rods. You see, I forgot to mention, but I someone just hit my car. I was looking for the replacement of the above parts. I can tell that the end rod is also messed up. Does that require me to get the rack pinion rebuilt? I got $2000 from the insurance, so I can get replacement parts. I don't mind at all. What I really need to know is what that part is holding the radiator. I can't find it. I really just needed reconfirmation on the strut rod. Of corse it still needs a TON of body work. I have to replace both fenders, the bottom lip, the bumper, and more. Here are some pictures of my poor baby. If anyone knows where to get body parts, used or otherwise, let me know. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again everyone. I'm thinking I ca just buy a new inner tie rod. My mechanic (my dad) said that I need the entire rack pinion done, but he's kind getting old and I'm not sure. So, is there a way to tell for sure if it needs to be replaced? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,188 Posts
... is there a way to tell for sure if it needs to be replaced?
Just see how it works. If the housing is distorted, then I would replace it. However, if it runs smoothly from lock to lock and doesn't clatter, then I don't see any reason to mess with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are LOTS of parts cars out there, try joining the 'MR2 parts for sale' group on Facebook and having a look around. I would replace that bent strut rod, the steel will have been badly weakened by that bend (and consequent repair), I wouldn't trust it at 75 mph on Ohio freeways, that's for sure!

That lower radiator core support can be removed, just drill out the spot welds on the frame, straighten it out and (if you're handy with a welder) tack it back on. I just had to do this, after I found that the previous owner had botched it all up with a rivet gun....smh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, can anyone tell me if this will replace my strut rods: 93-99 TOYOTA MR2 SW20 FRONT TENSION RODS. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts