MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just got a set of McCulloch HIDs. I was wondering for those with HIDs, where did you mount the ballast?? Spaces seemed very limited since I don't see or know of a spot to route the wires through.

Also, I tested the bulbs in the H4 housing to see if they worked and was getting mad glare. I'm not sure what brand H4 housings I have since they came with the car. I searched the forums and the Hella E-Code seems to be decent priced with a nice cut off. Does the housing make that much of a difference?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Yes. I personally don't have them, but have heard a lot of good things about the Hellas. Most of the cheap "ebay style" housings are crap. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I used heavy duty velcro to mount the ballast in the frunk.

I need to look into getting some E-Codes because the spray of light from my current housings is not acceptable.

I can't find the correct housings on www.hellausa.com either...I hate searching for lighting...instant headache. :(

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I basically just crammed the ballasts into the various little open cubbyhole areas on either side, somehow I found places where they *just* fit and don't rattle or get knocked around....I have an amp rack that goes over the spare tire and didn't have to worry about "hiding" the wires since they are all underneath the spare and amp rack anyway.

I have E-code H4's (Hella) and with just a slight downward aim of the lights I have no issues with glare - in fact I would say I am flashed less often with the HIDs than I was with the halogen H4's before, probably due to the slight upward "tilt" my lights had at the time.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Barry said:
I basically just crammed the ballasts into the various little open cubbyhole areas on either side, somehow I found places where they *just* fit and don't rattle or get knocked around....I have an amp rack that goes over the spare tire and didn't have to worry about "hiding" the wires since they are all underneath the spare and amp rack anyway.

I have E-code H4's (Hella) and with just a slight downward aim of the lights I have no issues with glare - in fact I would say I am flashed less often with the HIDs than I was with the halogen H4's before, probably due to the slight upward "tilt" my lights had at the time.
Do you happen to have the p/n for the housings...I can't find them on Hella's website to save my life.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Eeek sorry....the previous owner of my car had installed them like 6 years ago...car is in storage for the winter right now or else I'd check directly there.....

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I mounted mine in the frunk. The kit comes with double sided tape for mounting it. There's a perfectly sized spot on the left side and on the right. The right side should be mounted under the plastic covering, I'll take pics later if I can. The wiring length was just long enough and the spot just works naturally.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the link from here. It's real

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=111817&highlight=hella

The Vision Plus version conforms with US DOT laws. The cutoff is not as sharp according to the website. "The effect is that the Euro lights actually put more light on the road for you to drive with, and offend oncoming traffic MUCH LESS because of the sharp cutoff in the lighting pattern. And all of this with the same wattage lamps as in the US."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts