MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a daily driver I have a Volvo 480 Turbo (the car that was mend for the USA both never got there due to regulations and the ,at that time, high dollar) It has 120hp (4hp less than my MR2) and 175NM of torque and is only 16KG heavier than my MR2. Because of the turbo and the higher torque it feels much faster and more powerfull. So when I'm driving my MR2 I wish for some more power.

As some of you might know after reading my site, my AW11 has a completely rebuild engine in it and everything else that wasn't 100% anymore is been replaced by new original Toyota parts. For example: the exhaust and mufler were also replaced then. Now after the rebuild I've driven 5000km/3500miles with my AW11 so I'm not feeling anything for a motorswap. but since I do like some more power in the car I was thinking of a turbo.

I have a stock MAP 4age engine (124HP / 142NM) And am looking to get that upgrade to around 160HP / 175+NM is that achievable? I'd like to keep my stock engine as stock as possible when adding a turbo.

Now my questions are:
- What do I need for a turbo system on my 4age (I know there is ofcourse the turbo, a manifold and some piping, but what more? keep in mind I'd like to keep it as stock as posible)
- What kind of HP / NM increase can I expect with it?
- Is that 160HP / 175+NM achievable?
- Would a Garret T2 be a good turbo for the AW11?
- How about endurance, will it shorten the lifespan of my engine dramatically?

I've tried reading the turbo FAQ but seeing I'm not very technical, I gave up after a while on all those pages of technical yada yada going on and on and on.

Hope you can help me out here

Ewoud | www.aw11.tk

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You will need some form of engine management, like MegaSquirt. 160 hp is very possible. The T2 is pretty small. I would recommend a Garrett t25.

With PROPER engine management your engine can handle the boost just fine. But, you can also quite easily destroy your engine if you're not careful on tuning. Good Engine Management is KEY to a successful turbo install.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Agreed.. I'd try to get a Garrett T25 from a SR20DET to use, can be had for a few hundred $.. match that with megasquirt, custom turbo header, simple air to air IC, and some 450cc injectors from a DSM, get it tuned good, and you've got a little over 200hp potential to play with for pretty cheap.. Just DONT SKIMP ON TUNING! if theres one thing you spend money on, make it the tuning.. if its tuned well, you'll have no problems turboing your stock engine at that power level

Brando

·
Registered
217 Posts
DSM t25's are much cheaper than nissan t25's...an excellent condition dsm t25 fetches for under 150 shipped whereas a nissan t25 typically goes for over 250..I'm on my second dsm t25 and have $200 vested so far, so I couldn't give 2 $h!ts if it blows.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
DSM = Diamond Star Motors. It's used as a reference for the family of cars that include Eclipse, Eagle and Talon. They were all the same basic car.

By the way, the DSM T25 has a smaller A/R than the T25 used on the SR20DET, which is why the big price difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
jamesl said:
DSM = Diamond Star Motors. It's used as a reference for the family of cars that include Eclipse, Eagle and Talon. They were all the same basic car.

By the way, the DSM T25 has a smaller A/R than the T25 used on the SR20DET, which is why the big price difference.
true, but for a 1.6l motor they're fine. On DSM's they've cranked out 300WHP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts