MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading out my gen3 longblock with a fresh one soon. (blown piston ring, #2) The longblock includes everything but tranny and exhaust manifold. (oil cooler, intake mani, water inlet, distributor, still bolted on)

I've found most of my needs through searching the board and some things left unclear...

I will be changing t-belt (gen 2 likely), water pump, and have questions about some others.

I will be mounting my tranny to this new motor with the current clutch and flywheel (clutchmasters/fidanza) Will this require any new gaskets, seals, screws, bolts, etc? I've never done tranny work before, I'm not sure what's involved with where it seals against the block, axles, etc.

Are standard alt. (and whats the other one???) belts the same as gen3/will they work?

Is it necessary to change the gen3 hoses from hell? I've heard these are a better design and I already have one set on each low mileage motor...

Any other gaskets/seals that you feel should be replaced? (to save me from a leak/problem in the future)

Is it smart to spray a light coat of flat paint or that plasti coat on the pulleys or just clean and leave them alone?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are standard alt. (and whats the other one???) belts the same as gen3/will they work? Yes

Is it necessary to change the gen3 hoses from hell? I've heard these are a better design and I already have one set on each low mileage motor...
not necessary

Any other gaskets/seals that you feel should be replaced? (to save me from a leak/problem in the future)
None you have to. I prefer to maker sure the cam seals are in good condition

Is it smart to spray a light coat of flat paint or that plasti coat on the pulleys or just clean and leave them alone?
Whatever you want, I would just clean them up a little.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Slide for $5 said:
I will be mounting my tranny to this new motor with the current clutch and flywheel (clutchmasters/fidanza) Will this require any new gaskets, seals, screws, bolts, etc? I've never done tranny work before, I'm not sure what's involved with where it seals against the block, axles, etc.

Are standard alt. (and whats the other one???) belts the same as gen3/will they work?

any info on that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts