MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I bought myself a 1986 AW11 MR2 lst summer with my final goal being to have it as my first car once i get my drivers license.

It has 360000kms on the stock 4age, only 3/4 pistons that work (due to what i suspect are busted piston rings), a couple of rust spots and other small things. The only problem is i've never worked on a car and i don't have installations to do an engine rebuild or swap :banghead:.

Now i know this isnt realy the place to ask, but if anyone wants to, feel free to answer :smile:: What should i do, have the engine rebuilt or swap the engine? I'm leaning towards a rebuild but with a ~2000$ budget, i'm not sure what my best option is.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
A rebuild with oem parts will last longer. If you just want to be up and running you may have better luck finding a used engine from a front end damaged mr2. But there's always a risk the engine won't last long. If it was me I'll think long and hard ask how much a compete rebuild would cost. And then see if there was another running mr2 out there for the same amount a rebuild would cost.

If you have a garage you could save money by taking out the engine ou your self. All you need is to download the BGB, some tall jack stands, (get some for SUVs) movers dolly, an engine host, jack(duh) and a impact wrench(electric/air/or battery) anything works really. And a buddy to help out and hand you beers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

So for right now, to make this my first car, I should swap the engine, and once i have enough cash and resources to rebuild the engine to OEM standards, i do that and make it reliable.
And one last question while i'm still at it, how much does an average engine swap cost at a garage, if i dont do it myself?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about rebuilding until the used engine needs it. If you do a good job picking a used engine and treat it well, it can last a long time.

Engine swaps can be pretty expensive at garages and the cost varies greatly by area. I would call around to several different garages and ask for a ballpark estimate. I've found the members here to be very helpful, hopefully some of them will chime in with the cost of their engine swaps :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Local MR2 owners may be willing to help you out with the swap also. Check the local subforum.

Car looks pretty clean though. Congrats on the project!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts