MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last two weekends wiring up a late gen3 from a Caldena clip into a Celica (not even an All-Trac). All I had to work with was a Japanese wiring diagram (even the color codes were in Kanji). It is rated at 260HP from the factory. This setup features a crank and cam sensor and direct fire coils. The TB is fairly large and the intake manifold is a side feed rather than a center feed. The intercooler is A2A mounted right on top of the engine. The exhaust manifold and turbine housing are integrated into a single piece. The fuel rail is top feed. The ECU is completely unlike the gen2 and MR2 gen3 and so the owner decided to go full standalone since he plans on doing some serious modifications to it.

As you can see, the Nemesis has been wired up directly to the engine harness that came with the engine but the wiring and the mounting (the owner wanted the computer in the glove box) has not been cleaned up and finished.

The engine runs although the ISC is different and I need to spend a little bit more time (and I'll probably have to pull it out and examine it visually) to figure out how to make it work properly. We took it for a successful first drive earlier today.

This path is not going to be an inexpensive one to replicate in either a Celica or an MR2 to say the least. The cost of having me do the wiring alone (this is after you get the engine installed in the car) will probably run about $1000 plus you will have to either bring the car to me or me to the car.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Boy, that engine compartment is more crowded than my MK1.5 (with ST205 a/w IC). I hope *you* know where all those wires are going!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
"The ECU is completely unlike the gen2 and MR2 gen3"

The ECU is like the BEAMs 3sge (there isn't any pinout printed on the pcb). 3 rows and 4 connectors. The only way is to find a manual pinout.

Su

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
the 4th gen sitting in a Celica engine bay kinda looks like what would happen if a 3S-GTE and a EJ20 got together and had a baby. That topmount IC isn't going to align directly with the All-trac hood scoop, is it? Anyone figure out yet if the 4th gen intercooler is better than the 2nd gen? And I wonder if Toyota built the 4th gen 3S-GTE as strong as they did gen 2 and 3.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Any ideas to have the crank / cam sensors and direct fire coils to work with the MR2? Would the direct fire coils fit an MR2!

Muhsin

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first4age said:
The ECU is like the BEAMs 3sge (there isn't any pinout printed on the pcb). 3 rows and 4 connectors. The only way is to find a manual pinout.
Yep. Opening the ECU to see if the signal acronyms were printed on it was the first thing I did. No luck there.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
manny said:
WOW ricky, thats impressive. i know there are more than a few guys who'd like to see this over on www.celicatech.com and on 6gc.net you should join celicatech, good guys, potential customers.. ;)
looks like thats going in a 5th gen? GTS?
nice work man. :thumbup
Thanks. Feel free to post a link to this thread on the Celica forum. I have enough jobs coming in from just the folks who hear about me from this board and word-of-mouth to keep me busy. I only do this for fun and I can either turn down jobs that don't interest me or quote a price so high that only the most obstinate will go for it. Since this engine was rare and I was interested in working with it, I took the job on. Otherwise, I think most folks know where I stand on starting with anything other than a gen2 for a buildup.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pimp_mr2 said:
Any ideas to have the crank / cam sensors and direct fire coils to work with the MR2? Would the direct fire coils fit an MR2!
This wouldnot be easy. The crank sensor is integrated into the oil pump and it looks like a new oil pump, water pump, coolant bypass tube, oil pan and possible timing belt and sump would have to be fitted to integrate that in. The cam sensor would require drilling a large hole on the side of the head and blocking off the distributor hole. There is some hope for just using the coils but a few calls to big discount dealers all came back telling me that the part is not US emissions approved on any vehicle sold in the US and they will not supply it. On top of that, the igniters seem rather picky compared to all the Toyota ones I've ever dealt with and seem to want very specific dwells based on as-yet-unknown conditions that I may never be able to fully reverse-engineer to my satisfaction.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jvillain said:
So now that you have had some hands on with this engine what are your impressions of it?
I want to wait until we get the chance to put this engine on the dyno and see what it does in nearly stock trim.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
do you have any pics of the ex manifold and turbine housing? is it still using a ct20b?

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mr2azzkicker said:
that thread has no pictures in it.
And who said it did? I posted all the pictures I have of the engine in this thread. The link was to answer the question regarding whether it was a CT20b or not.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
That's sweet!! Now when it does break down....lets say the water pump where would you go about sourcing one of those suckers out??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts