MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

99 1mz wiring question need to know the wiring for the obd2 port.

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Canada 
#1 ·
I'm trying to wire up the obd2 port to my 87 1mz swapped mr(99 camry 89661-06631 denso donor pcm) and I was wondering if someone could help me with the pins/wiring for the obd2 port. Car is running but I want to be able to check codes. I actually went to the yard and cut off and obd2 port from a 99 camry so I'd have the correct color wires.

#3 ·
So I found my pinout for the obd2 port but I'm not sure how to trace it back to the PCM. I see the black wire(16) just needs to be 12v+ with a 7.5amp fuse. Brown(5) needs to be on 13c on the pcm but I'm not sure which terminal is C. black/white(4) needs to be ground and white(7) is supposed to go to the airbag module which I don't have.

Looks like the brown line(wire 5) goes to EOM 13c on the ECM but I'm not sure where that is.

The white black wire appears to just be ground?

I don't even have an airbag sensor assembly anymore...

#4 ·
Hi Jjona,

Since OBD is pretty standard, there shouldn't be any difference in the basics from US to AUS cars. Below are the essential pin outs to get your scanner going.

Pin 16 needs 12v
Pin 4 is chassis ground
Pin 5 is signal ground from ecu (optional)
Pin 7 is your communication line to ecu (called SIL)

Hope that helps.

#8 ·
There seems to be a discrepancy as far as which pin SIL is at the ECM, between the third drawing snippet you gave (... pin A11) and the next-to-last (..either pin A6, or A16 depending on what notes *1 and *2 mean... and assuming I'm reading the digit correctly since it's a bit fuzzy) -- are those all from the same document ?

I've noticed discrepancies in some of the Toyota schematics between the EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram) and the service manual (electrical section) for my '93 -- but short of verifying with a 3rd source not sure what to suggest.

#10 ·
I know this probably sounds dumb but how do I know which connector is the A connector? Thank you guys so much for the help btw. I've never been involved in a Toyota swap and this stuff is much more well documented in the swaps I've done. I'm assuming its on one end or the other of the PCM but I don't want to fry anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.