MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interestingly enough...

I have a 95 Turbo and tried to list it on Craig's list and got booted off for inappropriate ad. So, I listed it again and got flagged again. I guess 95 Turbos won't get any air time on Craig's list :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was scammed awhile back ago through craigslist. I was "purchasing" a 99 integra gsr. Yup to good to be true. I received emails suprisingly indentical to the ones you guys have posted on here. I ended up losing 5,000 dollars. But not so mad anymore because it led me to get my 91 blue turbo ttop sexy mr2 i have now :) and this is WAY better than any integra. soo basically i learned my lesson to never believe any of those gay stories people make up, so just take my word. If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS. :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
93Slow_Mr2 said:
please someone tell me how this is a scam i just bought this car this morning thinking this is some crazy ass deal and she sent me the same email im just wondering how i can be scammed out of my money someone please pm me

Dude... First always deal in person on craigslist. Second, ask for their phone number "scammers almost alway never provide phone number". Third, if a person has a lot of excuses and the price is way too low, odds are, it's too good to be true.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aww man

I am nauseus just reading these horror stories. I have came across a few of these, and baited them and turned them over to local police internet division. Most importantly though I shame them with emails like this:

His name was supposedly Rob Buckman....

You ain't robbing any bucks from me Rob Buck Man, I smell a scam. You know you go to hell for stealing and lying right? Get a job dude, McDonalds is hiring !!!! Have fun in jail. Maybe not for this but for something very soon. Salad tosser. Haha.

I reported this to the internet fraud division. Shame on you by the way. BUM !!

**Also here is what to meal was clearly a scam, I forget when this was I just pulled it out of my old hotmail box:

First of all I would like to tell you that the car is located in Quebec, Canada as I recently moved here. I received a good job here and along with the job I received a new car. I have no use for the vehicle anymore so I am forced to sell it below the market value. The full price is $2,900.00 US dollars with shipping included to your location. I have a clean title ready to be signed. The car has no electrical or mechanical problems, never been involved in any kind of accidents. For our protection we can use eBay Motors to complete the transaction. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and policy. I want you to know that I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. We will use eBay Motors to manage the payment because it is the safest way for both of us and also you will have 10 days to inspect the car before I receive the money. Also, a refund policy will be included.

Nothing sucks worse than getting scammed, I have been scammed out of smaller amounts of money and it really sucks bad.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hence forth why I would probably deal with the board members to buy an MR2, which I will be doing hear in about 2 or 3 months. Thanks for the info on scams like this. I haven't caught any like this one hear in Portland, OR but will keep my eyes out and post them if I find any.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why cant people just understand that 99.999999% of cars being shipped on craigslist is a SCAM!

·
Registered
158 Posts
btw, I forgot that craigslist specifically states on the very top of the page, "[ AVOID ALL OFFERS TO SHIP VEHICLES ] "

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It's good to be informed. I used an advanced google search for MR2 Turbo placed on Craigslist in the previous 24 hours. I found a good deal in Alabama. But instead of just sending the money, I asked for the phone number and spoke at length with the owner.
She agreed to pick me up at the airport in the car, which to me spoke volumes that the car was in working condition. Although there were a couple surprises (like weak spark under boost), I decided it was a good deal and picked it up.
I arranged for shipping... sadly it was damaged in transport but I'll be fixing it up in the next month.
good luck in your future purchases. Be careful; if everyone was careful the scammers would move on, knowing they couldn't get any money this way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do a search on cars.com for a white '93 turbo.

The are 23 available, all with around 40,000 miles, for only $1400.00

For that price, I could buy them all. Only thing is, it would be boring because based on the photos, the darn things look exactly alike.

Good time to in the market for a 93 turbo. Then again, maybe not so much.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
mele63 said:
Do a search on cars.com for a white '93 turbo.

The are 23 available, all with around 40,000 miles, for only $1400.00

For that price, I could buy them all. Only thing is, it would be boring because based on the photos, the darn things look exactly alike.

Good time to in the market for a 93 turbo. Then again, maybe not so much.
There's only 1 93 Turbo for $1400, but it's got 415k on it (unless there's a typo.)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey all you fools that think Angel Vega is a scammer... you're wrong! I've been in contact with him for years! I have his personal cell phone number and he is an avid fan of MR2s (especially supercharged and turbo models). We've had countless phone conversations and he's never taken a dime from me unjustly. I've done legitamate business with him several times and if it seems his grammar is not up to par, it's because english is his second language! And "mamao" means "sucker" in spanish. You guys are suckers lol

- Tony

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
It's been a while since I had this little discussion and missunderanding.....but, thanks for your comments, Tony! I really appreciated that, and like you, there are others good friends in this board that I conducted business in the past and some of them has seen my cars in Columbia, SC area and my 95T that I purchased from a board member back in 2008. I shipped the car to PR, being the ONLY in La Isla.....so, life is good and glad to have friends like you! Take care,

Angel

pd. If someone wants a REAL 1995 Turbo (NOT from a scammer :angel: ) with 65,000 miles and willing to pay the price and travel to a Tropical Island (US) to see the car in person, just let me know.....I'm contemplating the idea!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah this is definitely a scam. You should never wire that much money. Her email is similar to all the other scams I've encountered in the housing and other markets.

Her husband died in an accident and she's badly injured.. lol. heard that one before. If you spent that much on a car, I'd spend a couple extra hundred and fly out there. Always do a face to face transaction.

This lady reeks of fraud. Can't believe some people are still considering.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's all scam.....I have one back, that I almost sent out the money for one with auto trader...but I decide to call autotrader for the car and ship..and they told me that they don't ship car so that when I no that, that a scam..so I text the guy back and he say they samerhing that he es sorry for the late repaly because of army ____........

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
xiongthao said:
It's all scam.....I have one back, that I almost sent out the money for one with auto trader...but I decide to call autotrader for the car and ship..and they told me that they don't ship car so that when I no that, that a scam..so I text the guy back and he say they samerhing that he es sorry for the late repaly because of army ____........

Just be careful about it! There are some out there that are really real 95T......I know one person that has one with 65K miles, he is in the Army and has his car in Puerto Rico. It might sound weird, but is the reality and I can assure you is probably one of the top 10 with the lowest mileage!

·
Registered
24 Posts
angel.vegacolon said:
Just be careful about it! There are some out there that are really real 95T......I know one person that has one with 65K miles, he is in the Army and has his car in Puerto Rico. It might sound weird, but is the reality and I can assure you is probably one of the top 10 with the lowest mileage!
It really does make it hard for everyone that really owns one... I am local to Bryan "no shoes" Moore and he's personally been in my car, so he can vouch for the authenticity. He helped me with an HKS VPC and replacing the stock knock sensor with a GM conversion on the original motor. I am pretty sure I am the only one in this area.

Brian

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
95sw20 said:
It really does make it hard for everyone that really owns one... I am local to Bryan "no shoes" Moore and he's personally been in my car, so he can vouch for the authenticity. He helped me with an HKS VPC and replacing the stock knock sensor with a GM conversion on the original motor. I am pretty sure I am the only one in this area.

Brian

I got you! I got one too, but I shipped the car to PR back in 2008. I'm in the military and when I placed the add on CL with my story, I had scammers and potential buyer with doubts about the authenticity. You have no idea what does scammers were doing with all kind of deals. I guess because the special circunstances on my case. The way I get them out of the way is asking to call me to give them more info. The good thing about it is that the price probably is some kind of high and most of the time you see scammer placing 95T for low prices.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Another Scam, Monterey CA

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4706836423.html

The ad just screams SCAM. 1995T for 2600?

Emailed about a car and this is the reply... I am going to waste their time a little bit :)

I still have my 1995 Toyota MR2 Turbo for sale. I have the clear title,no accidents,runs perfect. I was promoted and transferred to Hickam AFB, HI for a 3 years period, so i do not want to let it ruin unused therefore i need a fast and reliable buyer.
The car is already at the Logistic Department in Beale AFB, CA ready to go. The shipping will be free because I will transport it using the Internal Logistic Department.
The financial part will be managed by Google Wallet, which means you will have a 7 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
If you agree with my price $2,500 and if you are interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner email me your: Full name and shipping address, so I can inform Google Wallet that I might have a buyer. I will forward your details to them and then you will receive the invoice with all terms and payment details.

Regards

1st Lt Mark Lessard
15th Wing
Hickam AFB, HI

41 - 60 of 64 Posts