MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oteck said:
whats your goal? that should be the same one the camry had
Good question.

My thought is, if you're not sure of why you are choosing the engine you are considering you should probably do more research. I picked the engine I did for a very specific reason - being able to get an entire swap "package" from a local salvage yard at a great price. I was also specifically looking for an earlier engine (non-vvti) that I will never turbo or supercharge.

When I went shopping my main priorities were: 1st - budget (for everything needed for the entire swap), 2nd - simplicity (there is plenty of documentation and support for 1mz-fe swaps) and 3rd - tunability (easy NA power adders).

The swap package I ended up with is an excellent match for my first priority, an acceptable fit for my second, but will require me to get creative for my third goal. While I'm sure I can tweak the fuel system some, changing the ignition timing may prove to be a challenge without an aftermarket black box. I have nothing against black boxes (the XEDE + SMART logic in my Evo is amazing) - I just don't like paying for the good ones. I do have an idea or two for a budget solution, though.

If you're considering a major car project, it's a good idea to develop a plan by writing down everything you want to do with the car with a real world cost for the mod. Be detailed - it's the little things you will need that can kill you. Once you have that, go back and figure out what you really want - based on your available budget. Know how much you can spend, and when you can spend it. Plan your mods accordingly.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
erioshi said:
Good question.

My thought is, if you're not sure of why you are choosing the engine you are considering you should probably do more research. I picked the engine I did for a very specific reason - being able to get an entire swap "package" from a local salvage yard at a great price. I was also specifically looking for an earlier engine (non-vvti) that I will never turbo or supercharge.

When I went shopping my main priorities were: 1st - budget (for everything needed for the entire swap), 2nd - simplicity (there is plenty of documentation and support for 1mz-fe swaps) and 3rd - tunability (easy NA power adders).

The swap package I ended up with is an excellent match for my first priority, an acceptable fit for my second, but will require me to get creative for my third goal. While I'm sure I can tweak the fuel system some, changing the ignition timing may prove to be a challenge without an aftermarket black box. I have nothing against black boxes (the XEDE + SMART logic in my Evo is amazing) - I just don't like paying for the good ones. I do have an idea or two for a budget solution, though.

If you're considering a major car project, it's a good idea to develop a plan by writing down everything you want to do with the car with a real world cost for the mod. Be detailed - it's the little things you will need that can kill you. Once you have that, go back and figure out what you really want - based on your available budget. Know how much you can spend, and when you can spend it. Plan your mods accordingly.
my dad owns a toyota shop in buckley WA and we have a 1mz out of on the floor that came out of a 95 avalon will this motor work or do i have to find an earlier model

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The short answer is yes. A good rule of thumb, though, is that the later year the 1mz-fe is, the more power it made with the stock ECU.

The real question is what are you planning to use for engine management?

If you are going to use an OEM 95 Avalon ECU, then you will need to source the parts from the intake, fuel system, EGR, etc. that are needed by that ECU and aren't already on the floor beside that engine.

If you are going with a different 1mz-fe ECU then you may need to adapt your engine's accesories, sensors, etc. to match your choice of ECU. It's really more a matter of "What do I need to make this work?" than "Can I make this work?".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.