MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - I have a 1993 MR2 Turbo E153 with LSD and searching for toyota part #33403-19475 or #33403-19476 (E153 speedometer drive gear) but can't find online. Does it go by alternative part numbers or I can swap for something else? thanks!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you cannot find a direct replacement part, then one alternative would be a wheel speed sensor. Hux Racing sells a Hall Effect wheel speed sensor with mounting brakcet that could be used as an alternative. It's a three-wire setup just like the VSS, power, ground, and signal, so it could be wired right into the harness. This will produce five square wave pulses per wheel revolution. IIRC the VSS produces four pulses per revolution. So a correction module like the Dakota Digital or other may be required. Or you can adjust the resistor on the speedometer board in the cluster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you cannot find a direct replacement part, then one alternative would be a wheel speed sensor. Hux Racing sells a Hall Effect wheel speed sensor with mounting brakcet that could be used as an alternative. It's a three-wire setup just like the VSS, power, ground, and signal, so it could be wired right into the harness. This will produce five square wave pulses per wheel revolution. IIRC the VSS produces four pulses per revolution. So a correction module like the Dakota Digital or other may be required. Or you can adjust the resistor on the speedometer board in the cluster.
Thanks - I've emailed Hux to see what options they have. Ideally, I'd really like to stick to Toyota OEM solution.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I’m pretty sure mechanical and electrical speedo gears are different. I recall seeing someone talk about how some later Camry speedo gear dropped right in, or needed minimal mods to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope this helps

Thanks @DefSport - this is more about the ring gear within the trans and definitely interested info but unfortunately doesn't bring me closer to solving for the speed sensor speedometer gear :(

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
i believe that the physical plastic gear is the same 1991-1995. The plastic gears are all listed N=30, Mark 30:35.

If I am correct, It is the metal shaft that is different. I’m speculating that if the plastic gear is what you need, you could purchase the 91-92 assembly, and swap the plastic Gear to the existing shaft that you have.

I bought an extra 91-92 speedo assy for my personal inventory based on this assumption.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i believe that the physical plastic gear is the same 1991-1995. The plastic gears are all listed N=30, Mark 30:35.

If I am correct, It is the metal shaft that is different. I’m speculating that if the plastic gear is what you need, you could purchase the 91-92 assembly, and swap the plastic Gear to the existing shaft that you have.

I bought an extra 91-92 speedo assy for my personal inventory based on this assumption.
Hmm interesting idea. Anyone been successful remove the plastic gear from one shaft to the other? I don't have the pieces in front of me (all parts with my mechanic).

·
Registered
958 Posts
There are cheap aftermarket senders with gears for the S54 trans. I imagine later Camry E153s will have a gear or whole sender that will likely work.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Where o you find this liting for the plastic gears. Have found listings for the diff ring gear and for the speed sensor assembly. Have not found separate listings for the speed sensor driven gear. Link? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where o you find this liting for the plastic gears. Have found listings for the diff ring gear and for the speed sensor assembly. Have not found separate listings for the speed sensor driven gear. Link? Thanks.
Part number 33403-19406 for the plastic gear attached to metal shaft. I'm not sure if you can easily remove the gear without damaging it or making it secure on another metal shaft. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yah I found this as you were typing - there was just enough of a clue in the previous post. It looks like the driven gear is sold separately so it must be removable and replaceable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah I found this as you were typing - there was just enough of a clue in the previous post. It looks like the driven gear is sold separately so it must be removable and replaceable.

@merryfrankster - that's correct. It's 4 parts to combine into a fully functional speed sensor. For 1991-1992, the sub assembly gear is different compared to 93+. This is in addition to the entire speed sensor going from mechanical (1991-1992) to electronic from 1993+.

The idea floating around is to grab the actual plastic gear from a new 1991-1992 sub-assembly gear (33403-19406) and see if it can be put on a 1993+ sub assembly gear (33403-19475 or 33403-19476). I'm not sure if the piece is removable without destroying it and if it can be reliable secured on the 1993+ metal shaft.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry posted something completely irrelevant here. But the upshot from the previously quoted thread seems to be that you can have different driven gears with different tooth count and pitch that all fit into the same speed sensor assembly. So if you find one with the correct pitch it should fit into your sensor, at the cost of giving you a slightly inaccurate speed reading, that you can correct either with a signal processor (DD) or resistor on the speedo board in the cluster.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Idk. the only 93-95 gear I have is on my mr2 and I’m not going to remove it to check.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts