MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

93 MR2 JDM Turbo - No Start Issue

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  rmeller 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I've had an ongoing problem with my MR2. I was running the vehicle home a couple months ago (quite low on fuel) parked overnight.... Went to startup the next day and nothing happened when turning the key, Ignition and electricals all work fine on dash and no click from the starter or anything. I have done a few tests but cannot for the life of me figure out the issue.
Battery tested good (including main ground good for battery)
Replaced starter out with known good starter
Starter relay clicks when trying to start car (also tried jumping starter and no luck)
i measured voltage at the starter solenoid and right as i turn the key to start the voltage drops to zero... I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out the issue and can't find any Wiring diagrams for the JDM turbo model.

I was wondering if anyone here has access to a starting wiring diagram or any knowledge on things to maybe check! If anyone knows if the EFI Fuse or something fuel related cuts off power to starter please let me know as that would make sense as the vehicle gas was low when it was parked the night before.

Thanks in advance - Matt.

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
There is only one at the battery. The other is between the starter motor and the starter relay in the trunk. The white wire.

Based on the wiring diagram it is closer to the starter motor rather than the relay. This white wire is thick but not massive like the other wires from the battery. You will see which one it is if you look at the starter relay. Green one next to the ECU.

#21 ·
Not sure if you have had a chance to read pages 53-55 in the wiring diagram attached. Yes its the USDM but it's still the same for the main parts.

Are you getting 12V at the main Black w/Red wire?
Are you getting a continuity signal from the starter housing to the chassis?
Your starter relay is working based on your first post.
Do you have continuity from the starter ring terminal with White wire to the starter relay White wire. Remove the ring terminal and starter relay first.
Do you have continuity from the starter Black w/White wire to the starter relay? Unplug the clip off the starter and unplug the starter relay first.
Do you get 12V at the plug on the starter with the Black w/White wire and chassis when you turn the key and the starter relay clicks?

Once you have tested all those items let us know. There might be a few other tests I'll ask once you've done so.

Attachments

#22 ·
Seems my previous post hasn't posted. (Ok maybe it has, was just on page 2)

Ok so if that works well I'll get you to run some tests. I have attached the 1993 USDM wiring diagram. Pages 52-55.

Check continuity between the battery and starter motor of the Black w/Red cable.
Check continuity between the starter and starter relay of the White wire with the ring terminal. Remove the ring terminal off the starter and remove the starter relay first.
Check continuity between the starter and starter relay of the Black w/White wire with the spade connector plug. Remove the connector off the starter and remove the starter relay first.
Check for 12V of the Black w/Red wire from battery to starter and chassis
Check 12V of the Black w/White wire when it is disconnected from the starter. Between the wire and chassis. Do this when attempting to start the car and when you can hear the starter relay click.

Also check continuity of the starter body through to the chassis.

Let us know how you get on with those.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.