MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 93 MR2 & it’s story. This is more of a Journal than a build, but we’ll see what happens...

How It Sits
1993 MR2 Turbo
131,000kms [81,000mi]
567 Brilliant Yellow
4th Owner
Original Dealer: Metro Toyota BC Canada

Mods & Features
-K & N Intake
-Magmaflow Mufflers
-Greddy Profec B II Boost Controller (12.5psi)
-Tein Type Flex Coilovers
-Leather Wrapped Seats
-Factory LSD
-Enkei RP01 17x8 17x9 +38 (3mm front spacers)
-Antares Ingens A1 [215/40R17 & 245/40R17]

Parts Waiting To Be Installed:
-Apexi Power FC (speed density)
-Water To Air Intercooler
-Mishimoto Rad
-Corolla Steering Wheel
-CT20B Turbo
-Ebay Downpipe

How I Got It
I’ve owned a number of 90s Japanese cars, but my favourite was my JDM 91 MR2 GTS that I bought back in 2017. I regretted selling that car, but I needed to do it in order to pay for flight school. I’m now done school & despite the pandemic, i got lucky & found a job in the aviation industry. While browsing Kijiji ads I noticed Mr2 prices went up & thought I should get one for a reasonable price while I still can. My birthday was in a couple weeks so I thought I should treat myself.

On March 5th /21 I was browsing for ads across Canada & found this yellow MR2 with some body damage freshly posted in British Columbia. It only had 130,000kms/81,000miles.

Aftermarket Parts:
-K & N Air Filter
-Magmaflow Exhaust mufflers
-Front Strut Bar

I live in Alberta, 1,200kms/750miles from where the car was located. I call the seller, and start gathering some info, the car sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. He tells me he’s got a lot of interest in the car & there’s people scheduled to view it that evening. After pulling a Car Fax I decided to take a risk & send him a deposit sight unseen. I spent 45 min on the phone trying to walk him through the EMT with no success. I was no longer worried about him stealing my money..... It was Sunday eve & the banks were closed. Somehow I convinced him to hold the car till the next day, when he was able to go to the bank & accepts my deposit. Next day I’m driving down to pick up my new car. I’m overwhelmed with excitement but also a little worried.

After 14 hours we arrived in Duncan BC. Thankfully the car was real, and in the same condition as described. It had been sitting for almost 2 years, but ran great. Came with some extra parts & a stack of receipts dating to when it was purchased new at Metro Toyota

I had reserved a trailer, but the car was in such good condition I decided to drive it back. I changed the engine oil & spark plugs in a parking lot, had new tires mounted & got an alignment (local mr2 owner sold me some cheap winters). The non adjustable caster was 0.1° out of spec from the accident, but everything was safe. I also visited a friend in Penticton where we changed the transmission fluid.

While in Vancouver I picked up the following parts:
-PF Fender
-PF Door
-Tein Type Flex Coilovers
-Mishimoto Radiator

Back East we go!
Duncan -> Vancouver -> Penticton -> Jasper -> Edmonton

Made it back to the family garage where it sat for a bit while I got quotes for the body damage. My BMW Z3 was sold the next day & I don’t miss it...

My Old JDM MR2

The Body-Work
In the garage I inspected the damage & test fit the new door & fender.
I went with a well respected shop that’s popular with the Subaru community, Showcase Autoworks. They fixed the A pillar, quarter and repainted the whole passenger side of the car.

That’s the same side trim that was on the damaged door!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Coilovers & Wheels
In went the Tein Type Flex Coilovers I bought in BC. They ride surprisingly well.
I had some wheels sitting in the garage waiting for the right car, they just needed to be refinished.

Enkei RP01 - 17x8 & 17x9 +38 (3mm front spacers)
Antares Ingens A1 [215/40R17 & 245/40R17]

They didn’t turn out as good as the pictures will lead you to believe. I will have to get them professionally redone.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I opened two threads, read/replied to the other first...this one answered that. I knew they were the enkei or 5z wheels, those are awesome. One of the types I was searching for.

Clean car man, real nice thread so far. I hope to remember to go back to look at the posts above mine (since you have multiple posts 'reserved' to go back and edit in information etc), it's sure to be a good one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened two threads, read/replied to the other first...this one answered that. I knew they were the enkei or 5z wheels, those are awesome. One of the types I was searching for.

Clean car man, real nice thread so far. I hope to remember to go back to look at the posts above mine (since you have multiple posts 'reserved' to go back and edit in information etc), it's sure to be a good one.
Yeah they’re nice wheels, pretty light weight! Predecessor to the RP01. You can find them for great prices, most people don’t know what they are.

Thanks appreciate it! I reserved them just in case I need to expand in the future.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
They are great looking wheels. Prices are all over the place, see some for fairly cheap/reasonable pricing at 150 or so a wheel, then you find sets at 300 a wheel. But, as I was looking recently (I was hunting non-stop for about a week after some casual shopping), couldnt find anything in the size (17) and bolt pattern.

The gold trim molding is an interesting look on the yellow car, not seen that before

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are great looking wheels. Prices are all over the place, see some for fairly cheap/reasonable pricing at 150 or so a wheel, then you find sets at 300 a wheel. But, as I was looking recently (I was hunting non-stop for about a week after some casual shopping), couldnt find anything in the size (17) and bolt pattern.

The gold trim molding is an interesting look on the yellow car, not seen that before
I guess they’re getting harder to find! Good-luck with the hunt!
Definitely an interesting look, must be a 93 thing! I like it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts