MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been able to find KONI Sport Yellow (adjustable) struts on autoanything for $155 per. Bilsteins are out of budget.

Is there anything I need to know about these before ordering? I've seen some ads specify "not for sealed struts" - I'm assuming this applies to cartridge replacement and not assemblies.

The brake lines on the original struts appear to not be welded to the strut, correct?

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
The Koni Yellows are inserts. You undo the gland nut at the top of your OEM struts, take the internals out, and replace it with the Koni. This is regardless of what the image on autoanything might indicate.

As far as I know, sealed struts on the MR2 only came on some later models, your 92 should be a fine candidate for Koni inserts.

The brake lines are attached with clips, but unless you modify the housing you can't remove them without undoing one end. I recommend cutting the end out of the bracket on the strut so you can remove / reinstall them in the future without having to crack the lines open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Alex. The tech at Autoanything I communicated with assured me that these were, in fact, assemblies and not just inserts. The link he sent me to the order, which holds the price for 2 weeks, even states "complete assembly". Now I am confused!

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Most likely, he is mistaken. I certainly am not aware of any Koni assemblies for the MKII. If they exist, it's news to me.

His price is a few bucks higher, but you might consider buying from David at twosrus.com. He actually knows these cars and supports the community.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right you are, Alex. Asked Autoanything to verify their description and they responded to the affect that these are indeed inserts and not assemblies as stated.

I think I will just go with OEM replacements, then, since I don't drive my MR2 very much and definitely don't need racing struts.

Twosrus.com only had Koni's for the Spyder, BTW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts