MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I need some help to rewire some connections..
(and need to clean up this mess from a previous owner :/)

It would be great If somebody can get me detailed pics of his wiring loom/wiring diagramm..
20200220_151935.jpg

Thx in advance ??

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
What's the issue? Looks normal to me. I have some photos of a JDM 1992 3SGE of that plug but they won't upload. There looks to be a few additional wires in there such as Green w/White, Red w/Green and White w/Black.

Wait, I see now. Plug EB1 is duplicated? First image shows the 92 plug and socket while the second shows a 89-91 plug. Interesting.

Can you get some photos of the overall area to show where the blue wires connect? Everything from the fan ECU to the left side of the wiring as it enters the body again.

Also what is your ECU part number?

Blue wires are for the engine bay fan. Purple wire is Speedo, brown is an earth for Speedo.

Has some sort of swap been done? Seems odd to have the plugs like that if it's still using the OEM engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well basicaly no starter/ignition
checked all ground wires.. Nothing loose or rotten so far

We basicaly switched a 92 na engine with a 92 na engine..
Same engine/model year.. plug and play.. in a perfect world
All the plugs that go to the ECU are checked and up to spec...

The old Engine had a few extra connections..modified at some point by a previos owner which didnt add up with the new one
So i just opened all the looms to get them back to original

Those 2 connections are currently unwired..

Unfortunatly there are as far as i know no wiring diagrams for my particular problem

ECU part number 89661 - 17370

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thats a current pic

Its a mess and i will make it nice and tidy once its al solved..

A basically need to know how to wire those "new" connections into the existing loom

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The starter relay, green relay wiring looks messed with. Not sure why it's been cut and taped up. Start there is it's not starting.

Thanks for that extra photo. Are you able to get one of the 2 white plugs and wires together in the first few photos?

I posted last week how to test the starter wiring in another thread. Have a search through my posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,the plug from the first photo is connected and the colors match..
So likely original.. But i cant find it in my wiring diagram..

I used:
"3SFE_3SGE Wiring Diagrams"
Page 10-12

The plug from the second photo doesnt fit in any connector and seems to be aftermarket? Doesnt show up on other ecu photos from different sources either...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes,the plug from the first photo is connected and the colors match..
So likely original.. But i cant find it in my wiring diagram..

I used:
"3SFE_3SGE Wiring Diagrams"
Page 10-12

The plug from the second photo doesnt fit in any connector and seems to be aftermarket? Doesnt show up on other ecu photos from different sources either...
Ok so download the 1993 SW20 wiring diagram for the USDM cars. This is the best you'll have for now. I don't seem to have access to the diagrams you are mentioning. They probably don't help anyway, MR2 specific is what you need.
Search for EA1.

First photo you posted is called plug/socket EA1. The second is also EA1 but from the earlier cars 89-91.
The socket end of the first EA1 plug should integrate in to the engine harness. This is USDM plug codes. JDM codes are different for the same plug but we won't worry about that for now. I did notice you are in Germany so I assume it's a European delivered car? This might explain the different wire colours I can see but not pin point what they are.

Sorry, can you please clarify where the blue wires go from the second photo. I can't quite see where they are connected to.

It also appears I can't see the wires and plug that connects to the engine bay side fan ECU.

Sorry for all the questions. Do you have a chassis number for this car? Not sure if it was manual to start off with based on some wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sry for the late reply.
Sadly my vacation is over and from now on i can only work on the car every saturday :/
So you have to be patient with me hehe..

I downloaded the link you provided
And i found the ea1 connection
I think that will help a lot..

Yes the Car is eu spec..
And was never automatic
I will get you my chassis number tomorrow

I hope this pic is good enough :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes this photo is perfect.

Yes, based on your chassis number it is a European car. That of which I don't have much experience with so I'll have to do some digging.
I'm curious to know what EA1 plug was in the car before you did the engine swap. Your car obviously uses the 15 pin EA1 plug on the body harness but the current engine harness uses the 12 pin EA1 plug from the 89-91 cars. So it's not quite a direct swap like for like. The ECU and wiring in the engine and in the fuse box may not line up exactly.

Ok, now I see. Looking at one wire in particular you need to make the starter relay operate. Page 52 of the manual. White w/Black wire from EA1 needs connected as this earths relay when the ignition is switched to ST2/Start position.

See images below for what you are looking for. Cut off the EA1 12 pin plug from the engine harness and join this wire to the floating EA1 socket off the original engine. Socket is the one on the right side of this image. Note the pin numbers.
GEN2 3SGTE EA1.JPG

This is what you will cut off.

GEN2 3SGTE EA1 91.JPG

Find this wire

Engine EA1 starter wire.PNG

and join it to this wire.
Body EA1 starter wire.PNG

Then once you get the car running you will be best advised to join the rest colour for colour. But please confirm each wire before doing so as I don't know what some of the wires do in the European car. These are Black w/White, Red w/Green and Green w/White. The rest make sense.

Pin 1 Brown: Earth for speedo sensor
Pin 3 Blue w/Orange: Engine bay fan temp sensor wire 1
Pin 4 Blue: Engine bay fan temp sensor 2
Pin 5 Blue w/Yellow: Engine bay fan warning light
Pin 10 Purple: Speedo signal to gauge from sensor on gearbox

You will need to find and rejoin the 3 blue wires back into the engine harness. I can't see where these go through the firewall.

Give that a go. Should work.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for extensive reply/help my friend!
I will try that as soon as i can..
and will let you know if i succeed ✌
Um glad you helped me out with this
?
I hope it soon runs again..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts