MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with experience in early year MKII's, how are the stock turbo brakes? For spirited driving would the stock F/R brakes with stainless lines, good pads, and high temp fluid be adequate or should I look into upgrading? I'm curious as well for track events.

Thx.

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
As far as for "spirited driving", I'm assuming you mean on the street. On the street you will probably never really task the stock 91t brakes. They are fairly robust and do a great job stopping the car. If you plan on autocrossing, changing the brakes may put you in a different class (not really sure about this though) other than stock. But, the short tracks associated with autox'ing usually will not task the stock brakes (they have not for me yet). Now if you are on a track with 100+mph capabilities you will see some brake fad after 2-3 laps (if a long track--3-4 laps on a shorter track). The only way to overcome the fad is to get slotted or drilled rotors. If you are using the MR2 primarily on the street and occasional track use, the stock brakes may work well for you. I suggest you do the brake mods you mentioned and then drive your MR2 and see how you like it.

Now, I plan on upgrading my 91t brakes to 94t rotors and calipers and master cylinder I don't road race so, I don't need slotted or cross drilled rotors. The 94-95 brakes are larger front and rear compared to the 91-92 (the 93 has the same size fronts as the 94-95 and same rears as 91-92). I spend most of my time in my MR2 on the street. But, as I continue to improve things on the car I find myself doing more autox'ing and track days. And the stock brakes have performed very well for me. And I know the 94+ brakes will be even better and be an easier upgrade to perform. HTH

Daniel

·
Registered
528 Posts
Actually 93+ are bigger F and R

Ken Blake had an Excel sheet that gave every dimension of the 93 brakes compared to the 91-92 brakes and both the front and the rear are bigger than 91-92 brakes.

Also I believe that everything past 93 have the same size brakes. With regard to the Slotted or Drilled rotors I would suggest against them as they tend to Crack easier after being heat cycled from several track days.

Without going with an aftermarket Brake upgrade kit the best you could do would be 93+ brakes front and rear, better pad, High temp fluid, and cryo treated stock rotors.

If you still feel that you can't stop fast enough. ( which is weird since a 93+ with the above upgrades stops faster than any other car out there) you can upgrade to Supra brakes but those have mixed reviews as the extra inhertia of the larger brake has actually increase peoples braking distance.

YMMV
-Scott.

·
Registered
400 Posts
But they look cool when you have larger wheels :) :) :)

Do the supra brakes have a more agressive/bity feeling? My '91 lack that compared to my dads Peugeut 307 and my Honda VFR750F bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts