MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll start this off with the background of the car. Found the car listed on craigslist listed for $650 about and hour and a half from where I live. As it turns out, the car was from a junkyard. They pulled it out as I showed up. Running and driving, but needed a lot of work. Worked the price down to $500 and loaded it on the U-Haul rental trailer.

What was wrong with it,

-Paint obviously
-Wiring was a hack job
-Cut out above 3000 rpm
-IACV broken
-Both rear calipers seized
-Missing most of the interior carpets
-Alternator seized
-No battery

After a new fuel pump and replacing pretty much every gasket the car ran pretty well. Found some 15x7 or 15x6.5, not sure width, FC RX-7 convertible BBS wheels on eBay for cheap. Put on Federal 595 RSR tires in 195/50/15 all around.

Once the car was ready I took it to my first autocross. It was a cold and rainy day, but man did I have fun.

[video=youtube_share;xpqD8M3XN_A]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A set of CXRacing coilovers, Polyurethane bushings and a fresh alignment it was time for more events

I did some autocrosses in my daily Audi A4 between working on the MR2.

This was the last event of the year. We got kicked out because the rear main seal started leaking very badly and leaving oil spots in grid.

In the off season we replaced the rear main, timing belt, and clutch. The rear main kind of crumbled when we took it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also during the off season I found a local MR2 guy selling 2 turbo engine lids, x-brace, 91-92 tail lights, and brand new TRD engine mounts (which I still haven't installed).

The solar car team I was on in college had a set of scales laying around, so I took the opportunity to weigh the car. No carpets, full tank of gas, t-tops on.

Since the car didn't come with an interior, which puts it in a prepared class for autocross, I decided that more weight needed to come out. Started with cutting out the door skin and removing all of the power window stuff.
I made some hooks by bending aluminum strips so I could still take the window on and off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I graduated college, got my first real job and decided to be wise with my new found money and get a new set of wheels and tires.

Enkei RPF1

Front: 17x9 +22 Nitto NT01 255/40/17
Rear: 17x10 +18 Nitto NT01 275/40/17

Compared to the old wheels

Had to move the bolt on the camber plates so I could get more tire/strut clearance

ARP studs to go along with the wheels

It took alot of fender rolling and pulling to get the tires to fit and not rub. ( This is before)

First event with a new club at one of the biggest location NC clubs run at, the Zmaxx dragstrip parking lot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far the best I had placed in an event was 21st out 110 or so. The new wheels and tires got me that little bit faster so the next events I placed 16th and 18th.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put in a set of 5 point harness and an NRG seat, but that meant my old head rest style camera mount wouldn't work anymore, so I didn't have video for several events. Here's some pictures instead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First top ten finish! 7th overall, only beaten by people with hoosiers or tube chassis kit cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a 10hz GPS unit and a fixed mount for my phone so I could get more accurate data logging

I ran D Prepared for most of this season, Which meant I was basically in a class with just my codriver. There was a guy that a a civic si in d prepared, but that isn't even the right class for that car and a guy in a datsun 510. Neither of them showed up for NC autocross championship so I got a participation award

After that I switched to X Prepared,which put me below the minimum of 5 events in the same car and class to count for season points for the CCR-SCCA club. At least next year I will have plenty of competition as X Prepared is one of the most popular classes, and there are a lot of fast people in that class.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brake master cylinder started to fail coming home from an event, the brakes only really worked if you slammed on them.

Best finish so far. 3rd overall behind a kart and a pro in a focus ST

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Wilhelm raceworks suspension geometry kit arrived right before the last event of the season. Made a huge difference in the feel of the car. In order to get the car to turn in to my liking I ran very little toe in the rear. This, along with 0 toe in the front made the turn in response very good, but the car was always very nervous. People are always worried about snap oversteer in MR2's. I don't necessarily agree with them if you have a close to stock alignment, and most people aren't and shouldn't push this hard on the street. The massive nitto NT01's had lots of grip, but would snap more easily than what the smaller federal's would do.

Now the car has toe out in the front, and 0 toe in the rear. similar turn in response, but the rear end is much calmer. You can still get it to slide out, but it is much more predictable when it would.

The last event didn't go as planned. New suspension allowed me to push that little bit harder, and an old engine with an unknown amount of miles that had been beaten to within an inch of it's life finally gave up. You could see the oil pressure dropping in long right hand turns throughout all of my videos. That finally caught up to me. Almost beat some XP guys on Hoosiers though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least it was the off season now, plenty of time to get the car running again. Found a used 5SFE from a local guy that also ran at Zmax.

Everything on the old engine looked tired and worn. A lot of wear in all of the bearing, cylinders 3 and 4 were pretty much gone. Some weird blockage in all of the coolant passages on the exhaust side of the engine block. A couple were more than 75% blocked.

Always need a supervisor while you work

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once I got the new engine in I decided to finally fix the tach. It would only read if it was hot outside, and would never go above 5k. Replaced the two capacitors on the tach and now it works as normal.

The new engine also is slightly different than the old one:

The alternator belt on the old one had to a lot shorter than the factory recommended size, but now the factory one works. Same alternator and bracket.

The dipstick now measures wrong. Full on the dipstick is about 2 quarts overfilled.

Now on to the upgrades for the 2020 season. My friend was able to convince his professors to design an aero kit for the MR2 as his senior project. This will look super ridiculous to most people, but all of this stuff is functional and is designed to work at speeds lower than 70mph which most autocross take place. He designed the shapes, but I designed all of the mounts

18 inch tall spoiler concept with custom 3D printed brackets

24 inch splitter template. We found it made nearly double the downforce at 70 MPH than the 18 inch version, which allows us to run a more aggressive splitter. It does stall out a bit above that speed, but that doesn't matter for autocross.

Splitter concept, will add canards and endplates

F40 style engine cover

New numbers for next season. These are permanent stickers instead of the magnets I had been using. This should force me to finally paint the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow very cool build process. Almost wish my car was a little rougher so I wouldn't feel bad thrashing it. Also a GTE is a lot more expensive to replace than a 5S. Personally would have taken that as a sign to build the 2.2 into a 2.3 turbo motor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that a custom intake? My eBay intake is way to short

This is the intake I bought RED AIR INTAKE INDUCTION KIT FOR 91 92 93 94 95 TOYOTA MR2 MR-2 2.2 2.2L N/T | eBay

Wow very cool build process. Almost wish my car was a little rougher so I wouldn't feel bad thrashing it. Also a GTE is a lot more expensive to replace than a 5S. Personally would have taken that as a sign to build the 2.2 into a 2.3 turbo motor
I'm planning to 2GR swap it next off season. Wanted to get the car running as quick as possible so I could focus on aero and paint

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is some crazy looking aero for sure. Are you doing anything with the underside for aero? Not sure if there would be any difference with a flat underside leading out to a rear diffuser at those speeds. I’m just south of Burlington, I’ve been interested in autocross for a while, just got my first sw20 about 10 months ago it’s na as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome project. Would you guys be open to sharing the report you (I'm assuming) had to write for the aero? I'd love to read it.
I'll try to post the report when it's finished

That is some crazy looking aero for sure. Are you doing anything with the underside for aero? Not sure if there would be any difference with a flat underside leading out to a rear diffuser at those speeds. I’m just south of Burlington, I’ve been interested in autocross for a while, just got my first sw20 about 10 months ago it’s na as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

The diffuser mock up starts tomorrow. I believe that, with some underbody panels, created 40-80lbs of downforce at 70.

You should come out to an event sometime. I usually run with CCR-SCCA that usually runs in charlotte, and THSCC that runs in Danville VA, maybe Cary Towne Center if that isn't demolished yet, and NCCAR in Garysburg.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts