MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently gen 4 swapping my car, I've been trying to get the axles out for 3 nights in a row and have made no progress. It almost seems like there is some kind of lock that's preventing the axle from coming out. Any information? Anything helps:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I assume you are having this problem with the short axle. Do you have an old clutch release fork handy? Insert it between the case and the CV joint, and give the end a little tap with a hammer. The stub should pop right out of the diff. Or if you can find like a monster truck sized pickle fork, it will do the trick too.

There can also be a problem if the bearing of the long axle is stuck in the carrier. If you can't unbolt the carrier from the block, then the brass rod against the bearing is the way to release the bearing from the carier. I hate this because it can't possibly be good for the bearing. But first make sure you've removed the spring clip from the carrier. Should be pretty obvious. And when you put it back together, use anti-seize compound on the mating surface, if you know what's good for you. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha.

Here it is for a different car but similar idea:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts