MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am in a real bind. My drivers side door will not shut. The door latch seems to be the culprit. The latch mechanism is not actually closing when I attempt to close the door. I can manually move the mechanism and it doesn’t feel much different than the passenger side. I guess I will have to remove the inside door card and poke around and possibly change the latch. Any one have any insight and what to look for and how to get the door card off without busting the 30 year old clips? Any information would be welcomed. I have a 91 NA With power everything.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Im not a ton of help here, but I'll say that this happened on my daily last week (not a 2), and I had to slam it a few times to get it to latch. Not sure if it was due to the really cold weather and maybe things were lubed properly or what

I hope you get it sorted bro

·
Registered
61 Posts
The clips will break, nothing you can do about that. New ones are inexpensive, I think I have a bag at home with the part numbers on them, IIRC there are 2 different styles of clips

Use a forked interior panel removal tool, and span each clip and pop them open. Otherwise you will break the door card, and last I looked super nice ones were $600+ea :|

As for the latch, first thing I would do is clean it with an electronics safe cleaner and hit with a spray dry lube and see if that offers any change for the better

Cheaper and easier than popping the door card

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not a ton of help here, but I'll say that this happened on my daily last week (not a 2), and I had to slam it a few times to get it to latch. Not sure if it was due to the really cold weather and maybe things were lubed properly or what

I hope you get it sorted bro
Thanks man. Ya I just can’t get the latch to swing. I do live in a cold environment and park it outside. Trust me I tried slamming it gently but don’t want to cause more damage. Hopefully a little lubrication will help because I move in two weeks and can’t drive it in it’s current state. The timing is absolutely terrible

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe try warming up the latch assembly with a hair drier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts