MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of stainless steel brake lines, replaced the rotors, and installed Porterfield RS4 pads on all four corners of my 1991 turbo. I bled the system starting in the following order: Passenger Rear, Driver Rear, Passenger Front, Driver Front with the key in the off position. I got all of the air out of the lines and the brake pedal felt very solid.

However, as soon as I turned the car on and went to drive, the pedal felt mushy and nowhere near as firm as it did when I was bleeding the brakes. I also noticed that the braking didn't feel as it had improved at all even after following Marc Summers break in procedure for setting the pads.

The car still stops but again, the pedal still feels quite soft almost worse than when I was on the stock lines and it also doesn't feel like its stopping as hard as I had hoped.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to firm up the pedal feeling?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Sounds like an error in bleeding the breaks. If you don't do it right, the break pedal will feel spongy. Before doing anything crazy and spending more money, rebleed the breaks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well like I said there was no air comming out of any of the lines when I bled the brakes (I did it twice to be sure) and the pedal feels VERY firm with the key off. It's just as soon as I turn the car on and depress the brake pedal it feels mushy.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
"'91 Mushy brake pedal feeling after replacing parts " means the hydraulics have not been properly bled.

bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts