MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for an elbow for my CAI that is a bit more solid than the stock rubber elbow. I feel like I'm constricting the diameter where the coupler meets the rubber elbow. I have to keep it tight so it doesn't fall off. I found a few made of silicone on ebay, do you think this would do the trick? The stock elbow is 2.5" in diameter correct?

If anyone has any suggestions or other ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
not to be an arse or anything , but the coupler is the least of your problems.
Your not gonna get anything by replacing it. And There will still be a bottle neck even if you replace the coupler (the t/b inlet is smaller than the CIA). you could try and track down Tom's (from the board) intake , thats actually make for the mr2.

But i say dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it is a worry for me and if I can change it for a mere $30 I will. In my head, the coupler being clamped to a rubber elbow causes a problem... why whouldn't it? I'm basically going from a 2.5" (or w/e stock TB opening is) to a 2" maybe less, and all the way up to 3". It's like an hour glass, just a little less drastic. I would like the transition from 3" to stock as smooth as possible, and I think a stiffer eblow would contribute to this.

Arguments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Agile said:
But it is a worry for me and if I can change it for a mere $30 I will. In my head, the coupler being clamped to a rubber elbow causes a problem... why whouldn't it? I'm basically going from a 2.5" (or w/e stock TB opening is) to a 2" maybe less, and all the way up to 3". It's like an hour glass, just a little less drastic. I would like the transition from 3" to stock as smooth as possible, and I think a stiffer eblow would contribute to this.

Arguments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Chris
i understand the point of a bottleneck , but were not making drastic numbers , that would need massive flow. Know what i mean? that bottleneck is maybe robing .000003 of a horse.

If its a cosmetic thing , then yeah id stay fix it. but if your worried about it causing horsepower loss , theres more things to be worried about (like the head itself)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I know it doesn't produce much power, and I'm not loosing much power b/c of it.
The pipe has fallen off of the elbow before b/c I can't really tighten the coupler on something that is as flimsy as this stock elbow.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
the pipe go in enough? also i wouldn't worry about intake tuning it doesn't give much hp anyways. if you want it to look nice thats another story. didn't you keep the bronze ring for the stock rubber hose ( the bronze pieace that goes where the 90 degree rubber peace connects to the other hose). if you have that it should be plenty tight and not fall off.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm, well, I'm not sure about a bronze ring. I'll have to check that out. The picture of that MR2 it totalled, I just picked up another one Sunday, and I'm starting all over so I thought I might as well do it right this time (actually use a bracket too). I'll pay attention for that ring.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
nothing to pay attention for as soon as you take it apart you'll notice it. notice my bracket, its right by the radiator cap look closely. you might be able to make some up from a hardware store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.