MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, im hoping someone here in the land of experts can help.
Ive got an 89 rev1 mk2, with the 3sfe engine, its an Automatic-- yeah i know, why.. But i like it.
However, ive got an issue where the kickdown cable sticks when the engine/box has warmed up.
It can be pushed back with some force, but its not a sticky cable.
Also, im wondering, is the vacuum system connected to the autobox at all, as i swear when the engine is running, and i pull the kickdown cable open and closed, i can hear a hiss.

This is just one of my problems, the other, is that its running way too rich, and i dont appear to have any vacuum at all anywhere.

Otherwise, it starts first time, runs like a sweety and goes up through the gears, albeit with no kickdown, as ive had to remove the cable fro the throttle, as if it sticks open while driving, it leaves me in 1st gear.

Any thoughts Please!?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The kick down isn't a kick down, it's a line pressure up cable. More throttle = more line pressure in the gearbox.
No vacuum? What do you mean? If the engine is running sweet like you say then it has to have vacuum in the intake manifold so the vacuum hoses should also have something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kick down isn't a kick down, it's a line pressure up cable. More throttle = more line pressure in the gearbox.
No vacuum? What do you mean? If the engine is running sweet like you say then it has to have vacuum in the intake manifold so the vacuum hoses should also have something.
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

The vacuum, yeah, i'll have something in imagine in the intake, but if i pull literally any hose from the throttle body top, there is nothing there. Makes no changes to how it runs, and there are no signs of suction at all.
So im thinking either a blockage, or a burst hose somewhere. However, its running fine. Well, apart from being very very thirsty. 160miles to a tank!. But, it physically drives ok and engine runs ok.I'll tackle the vacuum as soon as i can.

Id like to sort the kickdown first if possible, but theres not much info on the automatics. Ive got the BGB, and looked at all the diagrams etc, but im no further forward in diagnosing why the kickdown cable if nice and free when the engine and box are cold, but when it heats up, it'll jam when you open it up, and stay that way until its cooled again, where it will move back itself.
If i need to take the bottom of the box off to get the the valve body i will, but id like to know whats causing this hot lock as such.

Any replies are much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GDI, Would a slight excess of ATF cause the cable to stick?? Perhaps too much pressure??
Just thinking out loud.

The level at cold, is slightly higher than the hot level

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reduced oil level, took about 500ml out.
Still got a sticky cable/pressure line.
Feels almost like there's not enough spring pulling the valve or cable back, cos if I push the cable back by hand, it'll go..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts