MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Hugo,
I know it wasn't me, South central is not an area I would want to be in at any time. To bad you weren't able to talk to the guy, it would've been nice to know if he was the original owner where he lived etc. I've only seen one other one, white, on the road, and that was around 1991 on the 91 fwy btwn the 605 and the 710 near Long Beach (unfortunately I was a passenger in someone elses car). I would really like to meet someone with the convertible.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hi Bob! It's Bob, formerly of Upland with the red '85 MR2. I met you a few years ago in the parking lot near the old Mann theater. I was with a friend, doing errands on his wedding day...

Glad to hear you still have the Convertible... I still have the red '85 hardtop my dad bought new- going through a top-to-bottom restoration with new paint, interior, turbo engine, suede dash, 18" wheels, etc. Hope to see you at an MR2 meet when the cars are done!

[email protected]

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Bob,
It's always good to hear from you. Yes I remember it was actually in front of Trader Joes, I think you had 17s at the time because I remember talking about rim sizes. I'm thinking of going to 17s and maybe drop the car about 1/2" to an 1" (not really sure yet) I'm hoping she's done before the next MK I photo meet.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It might be a hack job but it does look cleaner with out the top stack. That is the only thing I don't like about my car. It would look better with everything yellow and the header black rather then trimmed in yellow. Thanks for the pix.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Bob,

Yes, I had 17" wheels at the time with 245/35-17s on the rear. You are right, it was in front of Traders! I still have friends in the IE, so I am up there fron time to time...

17s would really update your '2. By the way I have a set of Intrax springs sitting out in the garage- they are about a 1.4" drop if you are interested. I would HIGHLY recommend changing the struts (if you haven't already) when you do the springs- the OE 15+ year old struts won't perform as well as a good aftermarket Tokico HP or Illumina (I have the Illumina 5-way adjustables, they are terrific) strut. A fanatastic upgrade for the AW11.

Keep in touch- Please keep us all updated on the project!

Bob

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Bob,
I've been considering upgrading from 16s to 17s for quite awhile but so far haven't seen a rim I really like yet. 1.4 might be more of a drop then I want...I'll have to do some checking, how much are you asking for the springs. If you're in the area let me know.

Bob

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Stopped by the top shop today to see how the new top was coming along and other then a few seals that have to be hand cut she looks better then the day I bought her. The material was tight all around and the sails NEVER looked as solid as they do now (they added a plastic sleeve to the cable that forms the sail) the sails looked solid. The new clamps, altho a bit tricky to use, clamp very tightly. Funny thing is that I was considering selling it this morning before seeing it, but not now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bob...I am anxiously awaiting pics of your finished restoration. My family lives in Ontario area and I would be honored to view in person one day... What an awesome story and what an awesome car! My hat is off to you sir.
-Daniella

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just got her out of the shop Saturday. The new top and latches look better then the original and after last nights storm the top proved to be leak proof. Just have to take it back in to redo the boot. Next, paint and interior.

·
Registered
225 Posts
SPYDERBOB said:
Just got her out of the shop Saturday. The new top and latches look better then the original and after last nights storm the top proved to be leak proof. Just have to take it back in to redo the boot. Next, paint and interior.
That was a pretty bad storm, we felt it out here too. Good thing you didn't get the hail that LA did.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts