MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now I've gone to start up my AW11, had it crank a few times without starting, then suddenly stopped cranking. The first time it started up fine a day later and was fine for about a week, until this morning when the same thing happened again. I've replaced the ignition coil, wires and plugs all within the last few months, and the starter about two years ago. The car was sitting for a year and a half until mid-October of this year. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the battery is dead. A battery left sitting for a year probably cannot be recharged, so you will need a new one anyhow, whatever else is going on.
Forgot to mention, the first time this happened I tested the battery and it was good. Assuming it still is now. Also it wasn't struggling to crank the way cars usually do when a battery is on the way out. Just cranking, then suddenly not cranking.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
Well, how did you test it? A specific gravity test is the best indication of where the battery is in its lifespan, but even that won't tell you if there is a broken plate, or some other unusual defect. A voltage test under load is a good indication. Here is a simple test: See if your dash lights dim when you crank. Of course, any symptom of a dead battery could just be a bad connection. But, remember what I said about sitting for a year. I would bet that you will need a battery anyhow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, how did you test it? A specific gravity test is the best indication of where the battery is in its lifespan, but even that won't tell you if there is a broken plate, or some other unusual defect. A voltage test under load is a good indication. Here is a simple test: See if your dash lights dim when you crank. Of course, any symptom of a dead battery could just be a bad connection. But, remember what I said about sitting for a year. I would bet that you will need a battery anyhow.
I used an Autel battery and charging system tester.
Also, the car has since gone back to starting up just fine. Still not sure what to think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured it out. Electrical plug connecting to starter is not properly holding in place and getting jostled in and out. Hence the intermittent nature of the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts