MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I mashed my 88 N/A 5spd. I got an 86 N/A auto to replace it but the car sat too long and the motor smoked like a frieght train so I decided to undertake a motor and auto to manual chage over. the major work is going to be done this weekend but this is what I have so far;

In the driver side kick panel the fuse panel has 3 connectors for the harness that leed to the the back. the harness runs along the driver door, under the carpet to the sub woffer and fuel pump, the driver door rear jam to the buzzer and cross over to the right side directly behind the driver seat. after passing through the fire wall the power distribution box, the big white connector for B+ and ground then into the trunk for lights, ECU, and circuit opening relay(on the 86 the ECT controlers).

I have set in the 88 harness(not the ECU and motor) into the 86 and connected the battery and started turning things on and so far all is working except the dome light and jam switches. the jam switches are in the connector that holds the auto trans wires the 86 has lots of wires the 88 has 2. If that is my hang up, I an thinking o-well.

The cool thing about this is the 86 car and harness has both auto and manual systems wired in so the clutch switch connector is there so I jumpered the wires and we we have motor turnover :smile:

I am pretty stoked about this project and it is going OK so far I'll keep ya'll posted through the weekend, if all goes well I'll be riding Monday! :evillaugh

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Friday, I have installed the clutch pedal assembly in the 86. just drill out the holes in the fire wall and it drops right in. The clutch master cylnder is a [email protected]#%&@F%&*@# to get out, especialy when the strut tower is about 2in. in and back, I am using a new one in the install but I needed the banjo fitting off the old one. We pushed the 86 in the shop at about 4:45 last night and at 5:30 I was washing up to go home motor and trans on the floor :) .

Saturday, what I want to accomplish today is to get the motor out the 88 and in the 86 with new clutch, the 88 axles, all rear suspension, brakes, get the clutch hydro lines run, shifter and cabels. Mabey we will hear it run.

I am not sure what to do about the brake pedal yet. Should I just cut the pad face or deal with pulling and swapping the whole thing, it is kind-of hard to get to. any thoughts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saturday: I got to the shop about 7:00am I had a mess to clean and some more prep work to do. I did what I could wile waiting on 2:00 when the shop closed so I could take up 2 bays. The shifter and cables droped right in removed all the rear suspention from the 86.

About 2:30 we got the 88 in the shop and started tearing it appart. Motor out we pulled the trans off to find a clutch in good shape so we left it in. we set the motor directly on the floor and lowered the 86 over it and lifted it into the engine bay bolted up the mounts.

The bad news. I wanted to use the newer and visualy beefier rear suspension although it may look the same when you walk back and fourth to compair the two.. they are not. so we lost a few hours on my bright ideas.

So 86 suspention back in and down to the ground, we made all under hood connections, water, fuel, AFM, grounds, coil, battery. Cut a hole in the trunk for the harness to pass through connected the ECM and cooling fan module.

Now for the big moment ... SUCCESS

There is still alot of things to do yet. The main thing is the clutch hydro lines are going to be *&&^$#@$##. The wires have to be properly routed, the ecu mounted, the extra hole in the trunk covered, interior reassembled, do some thing with the brake pedel.

We are in the down hill run it should not be too much longer now :evillaugh

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunday: Got to the shop about 8:45. We blead the brakes, moved the 88 to death row(the spot at the shop where we put the condemed cars) and moved the 86 over to the split post. made and ran new clutch hydro lines, it wasnt as bad as I thought. Blead the system(took a wile). Routed the interior harness and reassembled the interior. A LONG AWAITED TEST DRIVE :thumbup The test drive showed me that my struts are so waisted that I am wheel hopping :thumbdown but it made for a cool drift fun.

In all it took us about 16 hours to swap the motors and every thing else nessessary. That is with air tools and lifts and 2 professional auto technicians.

Now does any one have questions?

Hay Jay When are you heading back the warm you brought up is wearing off. It hasent been cold sence Christmas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts