MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... here it goes.

First the car was having trouble staying at idle, it would sometimes try to die and you would see check engine for a second or two then it would disappear. if you gave it gas, it would try and die and check engine for 1-2 seconds and then gone. putting the car into reverse not letting off clutch just shift. kills car. if i put it in first i will either get the car to move a few feet and it dies, or it moves but oncee it put it in nutral again it dies. also while giving it gas it sometimes sputters also i see a puddle for about the diameter of a basketball after giving it a little gas. also starting it can be a royal b**** too. or if you turn on any lights, disengage the ebrake it dies.....i'm about ready to give up and just sell the thing on ebay.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Have you checked the dagnostic code yet? What number are you getting?

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
I just reread you post. Are you leaking fuel, oil or coolant?
I also read your previous post about the charging problem. Did you make sure the alternator belt is tight, the battery posts and clamps are clean, and the alternator is charging?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, the egnine light dosen't stay on can i still get the codes of it? the belt is good and tight, the connectors on the battery are brand new

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also how do i bleed the coolant system? i saw something about it once but cant remember where i saw it. and before i forget the alt is charging.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
The ECU retains the code until you clear it. Check it and see what number you get.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Bleeding the cooling system.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=181
You can get water coming out of the exhaust when you first start up the engine. Does the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe smell somewhat sweet? If it does, you scould have a coolant leak.

What is the engine's idle speed? Do you have a steady idle? What is the general rpms when the engine dies. If you increase the idle speed using the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body, does the engine still die?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it starts at 2k then bounces from 1.0 to 1.5k and when it gets to 1.0 it starts having dificulty. and it usually dies around 1k

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i read the instructions i feel even more lost now.... what if i did the prestone flush? I have wanted to do that on the car to get rid of any deposits or will the method of running the car with the cap off work? (adding coolant if needed?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts