MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this car about 6 months ago, lots of issues, still haven’t fixed them all. I got new dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, still having a misfire, I’ve looked into my injectors but I honestly don’t know what I’m looking at (new to working on cars). It still has a cat, no muffler, intake seems to have no leaks, no vacuum leaks from what I’ve seen. It idles low and stalls out, clear misfire and code for no spark, blinks 6 times.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you have the service manual? Search for the BGB, or Big Green Book, and download a copy if you don't have it already.

What is your idle speed? Does it fluctuate? Does it misfire when you bring up the RPMs a bit?

How did the old plugs look?

Is your battery charging when the car is running?

What's the history of the car? Was it like this when you bought it? Any info from the previous owner?

A video of it running could be helpful too.

Good luck!
Mike M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So it idle’d at 400, and then would randomly die, so I turned it up, the idle adjuster didn’t have the seal on it so it has been messed with before. The misfire doesn’t happen on a cold start, but once warmed up it starts to happen, I’ve noticed that when I get up to 4.5k RPM the CEL goes away. The car sat for 8-10 years, previous owner got it running, said they did fuel filter and changed all the other fluids, and my battery does charge while running, and I have tried multiple different sets of plug wires and plugs yet for some reason plug wire 2 does some wierd thing where it doesn’t like to make a good connection after I take it off, only this wire though. One last thing I’d that my oil pressure gauge does not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the old spark plugs were very very not good, fouled and just looked horrible

·
Registered
360 Posts
If the problem doesn't happen when the engine is cold, I'd suspect a lean-misfire, since the mixture is enriched when the engine is cold. The usual cause is a vacuum leak, or unmetered air getting into the intake.

Pop the air filter out and make sure that nothing decided to build a nest inside your airbox. Mice are sneaky.

Fouled plugs is usually from a rich mixture, which contradicts what I said above.

There might be multiple issues. Tackle them one at a time.

Did you short the diagnostic terminal to read the ECU code? The procedure is on page FI-21 in the BGB. All the codes I see in the manual are two digit codes, so I'm not sure what code "6" is. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, I’m using the Haynes manual and I meant to say it blinks 6 times when I short the diagnostic terminal. I am going to find a diagram of the vacuum lines and double check everything. I am not to sure where to start for the unmetered air theory all though I will look into that. I appreciate the help! I’ll update to inform what the issues are as I find them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
PM sent.
Check every hose between the AFM and the engine. Don't forget the brake booster line and all the other little vacuum lines around the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
12,181 Posts
... it blinks 6 times when I short the diagnostic terminal...
Code 6 is missing ignition pulse. Check the pickup coils in the distributor and also the ignitor. The coils can be checked for continuity, but they will also fail if they are mislocated. They need the correct clearance to the trigger cam. The ignitor can fail internally, but it will also fail if it is not grounded properly. Make sure that the mounting bolts are clean and tight. Also check for bad wiring. Inspect all of the connections between the distributor, ignitor, and ECU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts