MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an '85 MR2 and I'm trying to remove the shifter cables. They are disconnected from the transmission, but I'm having some problems pulling them through into the cabin. What needs to be removed exactly? Do I have to remove the large trim panel behind the drivers seat? Anything in the engine bay? Or just yank em hard?

·
Registered
167 Posts
you'll have to remove the interior rear firewall carpeting and the armrest to remove the shift linkage. There's a seal that's bolted to the wall that holds the cables in place, and a hold-down under the armrest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you'll have to remove the interior rear firewall carpeting and the armrest to remove the shift linkage. There's a seal that's bolted to the wall that holds the cables in place, and a hold-down under the armrest.
Thanks. I figured it out. You’re right, there’s a sheetmetal bracket that holds a rubber bushing where the cables go through. One of the bolts of this blocked by a plastic cover. Both are bracket and cover are bolted onto the firewall behind the driver's seat. Then you can pull the cables through.

Attaching some photos here to help people.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts