MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I recently bought a 1986 AW11 MR2 former SCCA race car and it came with an extremely rare fiberglass kaminari front bumper that was damaged but fixable and was partially in the process of being repaired when the owner passed away. That being said, I have been able to find next to nothing about this kit online aside from like 3 or 4 forum threads and like 2 pictures of cars that had it. I know this kit was made and sold in the 80s before the internet existed but I was hoping to see if anyone on here had any more information on that kit and if by some long shot, someone had the missing pieces that I don’t have and would be willing to sell (the side skirts and rear bumper). I will include some pictures of the bumper I have.

Also just before anyone asks, no I will not sell the bumper lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kaminari has a website and lists what appears to be your exact air dam along with all other parts of the kit in their product page. Everything is made to order and you can even have your parts fabricated from cf if you like. The whole body kit including a new air dam at $595 is only $5 more than buying just the side and rear skirts. Their MR2 products are here: MR2 Body Kits | Kaminari

I apologize if the kit listed turns out to be different from yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaminari has a website and lists what appears to be your exact air dam along with all other parts of the kit in their product page. Everything is made to order and you can even have your parts fabricated from cf if you like. The whole body kit including a new air dam at $595 is only $5 more than buying just the side and rear skirts. Their MR2 products are here: MR2 Body Kits | Kaminari

I apologize if the kit listed turns out to be different from yours.
I have actually looked there before but the kit was discontinued some time ago. It is the right one but they just don't make it anymore and for some reason it's still listed on the site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When trying to find out more about this kit, the totality of what I found were only a few forum posts from like 2006. Some guy was trying to buy it but it was even discontinued back then. Also, when you click on any of the pieces of that kit, in the descriptions it mentions that the product is no longer available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where at Kaminari's website did you see it say the product was unavailable? I couldn't find any mentions of them being discontinued in their descriptions and I could even add them to cart, however I did see this:

"This body kit for the 1985-1986 Toyota MR2 includes the following parts: K060320, K060330, K060340.
KA60309 87-90 kit uses same side skirts and rear skirt. K060329 Air Dam is no longer available.K060320 may fit with modifications.
All parts are made of hand laid fiberglass."

This description mentions another kit (KA60309) which is nowhere to be found on the site and its associated air dam (K060329) which it stated is unavailable. Perhaps KA60309 is the discontinued kit mentioned in those old forum posts since it's for 87-90 models, whereas the KA60300 is only for 85-86 model years. There may have also been a period when no AW11 kits were available. In any case, you could email Kaminari and ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh, I didn't notice that. I think you're right with that theory though so I'll have test that out when I have a bit more money to spend. I'm definitely still going to have that bumper repaired and since it's the old version, I would probably have to modify another front bumper which would be more expensive and I think having the old bumper on there is cool. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front clip that the front air dam bolts onto is slightly different on the facelift vs non facelift models so if I bought a new bumper, I believe it’s designed more towards the facelift versions which means it might not fit right on? It mentioned that when I clicked on it but I’m not quite sure on that so I could just be speaking bs. Also yes it does in fact have “tow” stickers on the front bumper and rear bumper because the car was a former scca race car and so it has tow hooks mounted on it. You can actually see the front hook sticking out in the 1st photo although it is a tad rusty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, when you click on any of the pieces of that kit, in the descriptions it mentions that the product is no longer available.
It mentioned that when I clicked on it
Where are you seeing these details? I'm starting to think I looked at a different website altogether lol. As far as compatibility with non-facelift models, the KA60300 kit currently listed is for 85-86 models which are pre-facelift. It's the unavailable KA60309 that's for 87-90 the facelifted MK1b models. Yep, the hook seems easy to miss since most are anodized aluminum nowadays. I also see hood studs, a car number and what looks like a roll cage. The car is already set up for (I assume) scca's production MR2 class. Do you think you'll race it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops I just misread it lol. Probably reading too fast. I don’t exactly remember what he said they raced it in, but it probably was that. Also what’s cool about the way this car was set up is that it’s still completely street legal. All the electrics were left in, except for the radio, and still work (power windows, electric mirrors, heater, AC, cruise control, lights, etc). I definitely plan on racing it and doing some track days as the car came with 8 spare track tires and 4 extra oem wheels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
... Eric put the Kaminari air dam to his Mk 1.5:

Gina Fong had the Kaminari body kit for her 450 hp Mk II. It's impressive. Their Mk I offering, no matter what you do, even on the best of applications, is always going to look like a cheap aftermarket component -

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t mind how it looks. Personally while I do very much like the stock front clip that goes and will probably get a stock clip for the car as well, I like the Kaminari front air dam. There aren’t really that many aftermarket body kits for AW11s and even less so that look good. In those pictures it looks a little off but it looks way better in person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.